House Price Crash Forum

Not Sure If This Has Been Posted Here Before

HOLA441

Couch Surfing - a global community of people ready to lend you their couch or spare bed. Free accommodation, anywhere, anytime. A truly wonderful concept. I signed up immediately.

http://www.couchsurfing.org

Has anyone here used it before?

The more resourceful we can be with our homes, the less demand there is on housing/accommodation and the better this world will be.

Thoughts?

HOLA442

Couch Surfing - a global community of people ready to lend you their couch or spare bed. Free accommodation, anywhere, anytime. A truly wonderful concept. I signed up immediately.

The more resourceful we can be with our homes, the less demand there is on housing/accommodation and the better this world will be.

Thoughts?

Seems to me to be a spongers paradise (and yes I was already aware of the concept)

tim

HOLA443

Couch-raping

A woman of 29 was raped by a man who offered her free accommodation through a website aimed at helping travellers, a court has heard.

She arranged to stay with Abdelali Nachet through CouchSurfing.com after using the site to stay with strangers across Europe without any problems.

But her brief stay in Leeds turned into a nightmare, it was alleged.

Nachet, 34, took her back to his flat, threatened to kill her and raped her twice during a 'degrading and humiliating' ordeal that lasted throughout the night.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1205794/Rape-horror-tourist-used-couchsurfing-website-aimed-travellers.html#ixzz0u9a1ie8B

Sounds like fun..... :ph34r:

HOLA444
HOLA445

A friend of mine 'couchsurfed' his way from Manchester to Faro in Portugal and back a couple of years ago. He had only good things to say about it and said he met loads of really nice people on his route.

I am not overly convinced, certainly not for people on their own, you really can't tell who/what you are staying with.

HOLA446

Couch-raping

Sounds like fun..... :ph34r:

Damn.. yeah maybe I'll give it a miss lol...

I signed up a couple of days ago and already have a couple people asking to stay at my place. The concept was great, but now the opportunity to actually do it seems a little daunting. Of the two members requesting a stay, one is two sisters from Croatia and they're pretty hot too lol.. the missus (who doesn't live with me) isn't so keen needless to say ;)

HOLA447

I would be worried about bed bugs, seems like the ideal way to get an infestation..

Exactly what I was thinking.

"Yes, you can come and stay, but you must take off all of your clothes in the shed, and leave them there together with your suitcase."

HOLA448

Damn..   yeah maybe I'll give it a miss lol...

I signed up a couple of days ago and already have a couple people asking to stay at my place. The concept was great, but now the opportunity to actually do it seems a little daunting. Of the two members requesting a stay, one is two sisters from Croatia and they're pretty hot too lol..   the missus (who doesn't live with me) isn't so keen needless to say  ;)

Exactly what I was thinking.

"Yes, you can come and stay, but you must take off all of your clothes in the shed, and leave them there together with your suitcase."

Well thats a sure fire way of upsetting your missus. I invited two Croatian sisters round on the proviso they were naked so stop a bed bug infestation.

HOLA449

Do they have to stay on a couch or can you offer them your spare room? :unsure:

It's kind of like "I won't be in your way, I'll just kip here on the couch."

No, please, go to sleep in the spare room.

"You won't even know I've been here."

I insist. Go to your room.

"Hey man, it's the couch or nothing, mmmkay?"

Awkward.

Best avoid.

HOLA4410

are u kidding me?

who wants to doss on a stranger couch?

for those of us too old for this chit it is laughable.

surely for those young enough then a tent or even a park bench would be preferable, it would have to me.

why tf is this in the housing section anyway?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I’m fairly new to Couchsurfing, but have only had good experiences so far, hosting several different people.

It works like eBay: if somebody has no feedback, or only bad feedback, then you avoid them. If they have plenty of good references, they you can be pretty certain that they’re safe people with a full set of social skills.

Being in a foreign city, it can be far nicer to spend time with a friendly local than to be a regular tourist who doesn’t know anyone. The surfer and host always have to strike a suitable balance between time spent together and time spent apart, but so far in my experience it has always worked out fine.