House Price Crash Forum

A Friend's Brother Has Just Failed His Final Year At Uni.

maxdiver

HOLA441

He should finish the course.

Today's youth are worth very little, those without degrees are worth even less.

At least his course is a valuable one (comp science right?) so it's worth getting the piece of paper to say he did it.

The best investment bar none right now is an investment in yourself.

HOLA442

I was contacted today by one of my friends from university whose brother has just failed his final year. I believe in IT or Computing.

I said that he should leave university and seek his fortune, possibly getting additional qualifications in something like SAP, AutoCAD or studying for a CCNA, or trying something a bit leftfield like becoming a professional abseiler (apparently not as difficult as it sounds).

I said that there are thousands of unemployed graduates, so having a degree isn't much to write home about these days, even though it may be tempting to sit out the next year or so at university and emerge at a time when the jobs market might hopefully be a bit healthier.

What advice should I have given?

Carry on applying for graduate jobs. No-one has ever asked to see proof of my degree. Its quite difficult to fail a degree though, and daft to come away with nothing but 3 or 4 years debt...hope he enjoyed himself.

HOLA443

He should re-sit his final year. Many employers want proof of qualification, I know of somebody employed at my girlfriend's company lied that he had a degree. This was discovered one week later he was told to leave "right now".

In the IT industry showing that you failed to complete your degree says "I can't see anything through to the end" and they will assume this will also include difficult projects that they will be involved in. There are many reasons to resit that can be waffled over in an interview providing you come across well. It also says "Ok, things didn't work out as planned but I saw it through to the end".

Not having a degree is a huge problem generally as most employers expect you to have one. Again in the IT industry somebody with no degree and no experience ain't going to get far, this industry is particularly cut throat at the best of times.

Edited by Bug16

HOLA444
HOLA445

My university doesn't do resits for final year. The only exception was this year when a lot of people got stuck abroad because of the volcano. I've never even heard of someone sitting all of their finals and then repeating the year although I do know of people who got half way through the year, fell ill and just started again the next year.

When I was at uni, if you failed an exam you could resit that exam, and you must pass. However, what ever result you get for that exam you will be awarded 40% or a fail. So it drags down your final result because of this.

Although, I'm sure you could only fail one exam.