House Price Crash Forum

Beat The Vat-Man

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I dont know what all of the comotion is its £2.50 per One hundred its not going to break the bank is it

Depends if budgets are already at the breaking point. A hell of a lot have been underwater for years - reliant on more debt to keep going. It is all cumulative, a little bit of hidden inflation, this vat increase, increases in other stealth taxes and you can quickly see a 10% swing in finances.

To OP, change your purchasing habits, what you buy, where you buy from and how you buy - a lot more to be saved long term rather than sidestepping the VAT cut.

HOLA446

I dont know what all of the comotion is its £2.50 per One hundred its not going to break the bank is it

+1

You'd think they added 5% to income tax the way everyone is moaning about it.

What percentage of people's spending includes VAT. I'd say well under half after

food, rent etc.

HOLA447

I'll lose £500 per year in tax credits - fiscal drag and increases in other taxes are secondary to that, so yes savings that can be made should bbe made.

The run up to this Xmas is going to look like the best Xmas ever for retailers

HOLA448

I'll lose £500 per year in tax credits - fiscal drag and increases in other taxes are secondary to that, so yes savings that can be made should bbe made.

The run up to this Xmas is going to look like the best Xmas ever for retailers

SKY?

Mobile phone contract?

Overpay mortgage to save interest > VAT saving?

Hypermile B)

Prepay any monthly bills you pay credit on?

HOLA449
HOLA4410

The VAT man is your friend. Over the next 5 years we will march gloriously on under the leadership of Comrades Cameron and Osborne and we will pay the deficit and debt down.

Then, the Comrades Milliband can get back in and build the deficit up again.

It was ever so.

That sounds about right. What we need is a debt clock or something.

And when we enter a boom period again, for the start of every PMQ's to begin with...

"Can the prime minister please explain, why our economy is in good health, and yet we are spending more money than we receive in tax receipts and borrowing to do so"?

Why didn't the Tory government spell out more clearly that we were borrowing money in a boom (2001 -2007)? Or did they, and labour said they were fixing the roof and the press couldn't have cared less?

HOLA4411

Why didn't the Tory government spell out more clearly that we were borrowing money in a boom (2001 -2007)?

Far too busy praising the "economic miracle" of the Irish debt bubble...

'Gordon Brown's policies are wedded to the past' [February 2006]:

http://www.putneyconservatives.co.uk/record.jsp?type=cchNews&ID=585

Shadow Chancellor George Osborne has fired a fresh broadside at Gordon Brown's economic policies and called for Britain to learn the lessons of Ireland's stunning economic success.

[...snip...]

"Ireland stands as a shining example of the art of the possible in economic policy-making. With its vision of a highly-educated, innovative, open, dynamic, low-tax economy, and relentless focus on the long-term drivers of prosperity, Ireland's economic miracle has shown that it has the right answers to the challenges of the new global economy.

"The new global economy offers us great challenges, and also great opportunities. Ireland has shown the world that wise economic policy-making can produce outstanding results that surpass all expectations, so that we can meet our potential, achieve our goals, and share rising prosperity in an increasingly competitive world. We in Britain would do well to listen and learn from our Irish neighbours."

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

btw, this isn't how can I avoid the increase, its a general how can WE avoid it so keep the (proper) suggestions coming. In reality the VAT increase probably makes little nominal difference but it can be the trigger to make savings in other ways. Hypermiling is a good one as petrol is a big bugbear of mine, I do try but not with remarkable results.

I suggest, look at what you buy:

Do you need it it?

Do you need as much of it?

Are you buying it in the best place?

Can you save by buying in bulk?

Will it last?

I'm not saying we all turn into MSE Wombles but little changes here and there and a little effort can help. After years of resisting the siren call, I just may join MoneySpunkingExpert

HOLA4415