House Price Crash Forum

Insane Parent

SarahBell

HOLA441

My rather insane dad has come up with an idea on his own. Buy a granny flat for the garden and rent the house to my little sis and her family.

Apart from the fact he has no money to buy a granny flat I do think it's insane.

For so many reasons. Least of which my silly sister has a 50% share of a HA property (Think their 5 yr fixed IO mortgage has come to an end very recently)

Is it mad? Am I just feeling hard done to because of my (lack of ... he's apparently leaving everthing to the grandkids) inheritence being "given" to little sis?

Tell me it's not just petty jealousy making me think it's a bad idea.

HOLA442
HOLA443

I know they generally mean well, but the lengths the boomers will go to to prolong this nonsense is frightening

Building homes for your kids in your garden FFS?

I remember my folks saying to me; "why don't you buy a shared ownership place?"

To which I replied "why should I have to buy half a house when you got to buy a whole one, just to prop up the value of yours?"

They had no response to that

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Dont worry - as soon as he develops a disease that can be "helped" with regular application of money - he will follow his selfish boomer instinct and spend the entire bally lot on his own hide. - Nobody is going to get a penny except the drugs/care industry.

HOLA447

Smart bloke.

He has seen you reading HPC and realised that there is zero chance of getting a nice comfortable retirement on the state despite all it's promises and the best thing to do is make your children into carers for him in his old age.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Indeed a giant garden shed. We have a garage that's only marginally smaller than the big one.

I think it was the "can you lend me £30k" that annoyed me too.

Of course I'd like to lend him 30k so my little sister can live in a nice house whilst he lives in a shed.

If he's looking at little sis for care then he must be certifiable. She's absolutely self-centred[1] and would be the last person on earth you'd want in charge of your daily existance.

[1] She won't feed his cat whilst he's away. She doesn't live far from him.

Archived