House Price Crash Forum

Shouldn't Being A 'trainee' Involve Some Training?

Boom Boom

HOLA441
HOLA442

Not any more it seems. Now 'trainee' in a job description seems to be nothing more than flimsy excuse for lousy wages.

scammy.jpg

I recognise that job its been doing the rounds for months hell before i even vanished off to Siberia for a bit.

HOLA443

flimsy excuse for lousy wages.

I remember applying for a 'summer job' in 1995 at a small company that wrote systems to control robots in factories. They wanted the applicant to be proficient in Unix, C, DBMS and have an understanding of Real-time-systems implementation. They wanted someone to take responsibility for writing large sections of a multi-million pound project. They wanted out-of-hours work, including weekends - and, after the interview, I discovered that they wanted to pay £60 per week for this. I laughed at the MD and left.

HOLA444

I what way are these wages 'lousy'?

It is the market which sets wage levels - supply and demand. Anyone wanting to earn more than the market rate must either change directions into a less competitive sphere, develop their own USP which will increase their value, or set up their own business.

A client of mine makes a fantastic living as a web designer. He is completely self-taught and set up his own web company in his spare time while managing a shoe shop to pay the rent. He sold his first website as a going concern for over half a million quid!

You don't need a job - you need balls!

Archived