House Price Crash Forum

Has Anyone Else Noticed?

HOLA441

When you're looking through property details on Rightmove (or similar), that a lot of the more expensive houses (especially new-builds and executive places) have really cheap (Argos and Ikea) furniture?

Is this because they've stretched themselves to the limit and can't afford more decent stuff?

If I was viewing a £350k (I wish!) house and saw a £99 dining table and chairs and beech and chrome tat it wouldn't make a very good impression..

HOLA442
HOLA443
When you're looking through property details on Rightmove (or similar), that a lot of the more expensive houses (especially new-builds and executive places) have really cheap (Argos and Ikea) furniture?

Is this because they've stretched themselves to the limit and can't afford more decent stuff?

If I was viewing a £350k (I wish!) house and saw a £99 dining table and chairs and beech and chrome tat it wouldn't make a very good impression..

Umm....Argos furniture is not only cheap, but small aswell. Makes all those exec type lounges look extra spacious.

If I can't fit my annoyingly large antiques in ...I ain't interested....which is why I'de never buy a newbuild. :D

HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest muttley

It's because the owner is not necessarily well off.Most owners could not afford their own houses at todays prices,IMHO.

The UK economy could have been designed by Ikea.

Looks good from a distance,but doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

HOLA446

Actually, the furniture is in fact extremely expensive. It's just that the owners of said furniture have no taste at all and think that chinz god-awful mock-old "velvetine-effect" type sofas and dark "mahogany"-effect tables actually look nice. This type of stuff is always more expensive than unpretentious ordinary simple furniture.

That's why half the homes in England have TV's enclosed in a mock "cabinet" and the other half have plasma TV's which magically descend into the back end of a "flame-effect" fire.

In fact the entire furniture of the UK is "effect-something" furniture. Yes we Brits are SO tasteful!

VP

HOLA447

from my experience in family antiques business, most people over the years have lost interest in well built & well made furniture,

It's all down to the throw away culture we have, why buy a good piece of furniture that will last for 100's of years when you can buy crap and change it every year,