House Price Crash Forum

Voting

daddybear

HOLA441

Help

We rent thro a local agency but our landlord lives in spain. It is her only property and is registered on the electoral roll to this address. We want to register but have been told not to by her because then she would not be able to be registered.

I am pretty sure that denieing someone the vote is ilegal

We want to vote in the forthcoming election for obvious reasons

Mark

HOLA442

Help

We rent thro a local agency but our landlord lives in spain. It is her only property and is registered on the electoral roll to this address. We want to register but have been told not to by her because then she would not be able to be registered.

Mark

She has a colossal nerve, telling you not to register yourselves. Tell her she has no right to even ask you not to register - just go ahead and do it.

Even if she is registered on the electoral roll at that address that doesn't mean nobody else living there can also register.

There is almost certainly something else behind your LL's behaviour, e.g. she hasn't told her lenders she's renting the place out and doesn't want any evidence that anyone else is living there.

HOLA443

Help

Mark

She's on a tax dodge and/or doesn't want the lender to know she is renting out. What a nerve. Register anyway (don't bother telling her you did) and if she kicks up a fuss tell her you will report her to the relevant authorities. She can re-register when she comes back to the UK.

HOLA444

Register and make sure you cross through her name as people who no longer live there. Its probably some form of dodge and by not filling in the form correctly you could probably get yourself involved in something you have no interest in.

HOLA445

Help

Mark

Even if it is just for your own credit rating you need to be on the electoral register, completely ignore her, she has zip zero rights to do anything about it....

Sounds like a residency dodge to me, report her to HMRC using the anonymous grass-line

HOLA446
HOLA447

Even if it is just for your own credit rating you need to be on the electoral register, completely ignore her, she has zip zero rights to do anything about it....

Sounds like a residency dodge to me, report her to HMRC using the anonymous grass-line

+1. A gap in your electoral register record can have serious credit rating effects (were you in Pentonville?!). Also, IIRC, the form states that it is a legal requirement to fill it in with the appropriate residents - nothing she says can over-ride that.

And, if you are still there next year, there's the 10-year census coming up, which most certainly is backed by law - does she expect you to hide behind the sofa when the enumeraters come round?

HOLA448

Help

Mark

I assume that you pay the council tax on this property? If so then there'll already be a record of you occupying the place, so probably not a tax dodge by your LL, maybe she just wants to make sure she doesn't lose her vote. Either way I'd echo the sentiment above that she has no right to tell you not to register.