House Price Crash Forum

Re : Telegraph: Mood Turns Positive On Promise Of

HOLA441

Hi,

What is it with the standard of media reporting we have at the moment? I mean, this article, read it, please. It says nothing really,

"Fears about the economy in recent months have not been realised, and pessimism has evaporated, according to the country's biggest building society.......the Nationwide index of consumer confidence rose sharply in July to 101 from 95"

What is this index of consumer confidence? Is it indepenently conducted and reported? The article seems to contradict iself several times later on. I especially like the bit ;

"Despite rising unemployment, a recession in manufacturing, a malaise on the high street and the slowing property market," and ;

"The CBI said its survey showed that underlying sales in the retail sector were the worst on record in July," and ;

"The linkage (of the survey) is rather episodic - sometimes it tells you something about spending, sometimes it doesn't."

The reporter seems to make no attempt to analyse, even very quickly, anything very much, either on the optimistic or the pessimistic side. And this is supposed to be a 'quality' paper. I shudder to think how the Daily Sport or the Current Bun are reporting it. It is like a buttelin of meanigless quotes. It is like those spoof stories in the viz. Thank god for HPC, that's what I say.

:o

HOLA442
What is it with the standard of media reporting we have at the moment?

All the smart journalists are probably working on the web these days (or for the Sun, which I'm sure will be around for quite a while :)).

Paper journalism is a dinosaur that hasn't quite realised it's dead yet...

Edited by MarkG

HOLA443
HOLA444
"Fears about the economy in recent months have not been realised, and pessimism has evaporated, according to the country's biggest building society.......the Nationwide index of consumer confidence rose sharply in July to 101 from 95"

"pessimism has evaporated"

No need for a rate cut then, the housing market would appear to still be underpinned by those same fundamentals they were spouting about earlier this year. In days and weeks, buyers will clearly be flocking back in their thousands.

"Fears about the economy in recent months have not been realised"

Hang on. They didn't have any fears. So what are they talking about? Clearly it can't have anything to do with the business closures and job cuts, they didn't really happen.

:huh:

HOLA445
Guest Riser
The reporter seems to make no attempt to analyse, even very quickly, anything very much, either on the optimistic or the pessimistic side. And this is supposed to be a 'quality' paper. I shudder to think how the Daily Sport or the Current Bun are reporting it. It is like a buttelin of meanigless quotes. It is like those spoof stories in the viz. Thank god for HPC, that's what I say.

Yet its important enough to interview a spokesman from Nationwide on C4 News, unbelievable B)

C4 Lunchtime News