House Price Crash Forum

Ebay Thread

Number79

HOLA441

There are some of us that buy gold and silver on ebay. I live in hope that a thread like this may help us all.

If anyone spots a great find but can't afford it then we can share the link, if anyone spots a fake then we can warn each other, if anyone comes across a dodgy seller then likewise.

Maybe we could use this thread to let each other know that we have bids on an item, not sure how it will work out but could save us money bidding against each other.

We could also circumvent feebay with items for sale. It would not only be to our advantage by saving around a 14% sales fee but we may even be able to sort out gold/silver trades. There are times when I would be happy to trade quantities of silver for gold and vice versa.

Any other info that can help with pricing/buying/selling would also be gratefully accepted by anyone here. We all know the main internet based dealers but any other info about buyers/sellers with descent rates would be great as would alerts to special offers. CID often have offers but by the time one finds out they are sold out, maybe we can use this thread to help each other out with all buying/selling knowledge.

I wouldn't want to restrict the thread just to gold either, silver info all welcome.

HOLA442
HOLA443
Nice idea. I will participate

Good. I hope that many will.

First warning, there is a seller called nakiwil selling copy coins. He has made it pretty clear that he is selling copy 1 oz coins but it is worth cheching his fb to see who has bought from him. Atleast one of his buyers has been reselling 1oz krugger copies with a less than detailed description at a bin price of £600. Can't give the sellers details now as they have finally, after I complained many times and am certain buyers have, feebay have frozen his account. Worth checking a sellers buying history though.

HOLA444
HOLA445
I, as many maybe, am also interested in scrap sales. Will buy scrap and am interested in knowing about others avenues for resale/refining.

I would buy some of the copy coins. I dont think id pay £10 each for them, no more than £5.

Bairds buy scrap gold and they will refine it. Prices on their website. Its a shame all these gold buying businesses are poping up and scamming people out of their gold.

Do you post over at GEI?

Edited by endgame

HOLA446
There are some of us that buy gold and silver on ebay. I live in hope that a thread like this may help us all.

If anyone spots a great find but can't afford it then we can share the link, if anyone spots a fake then we can warn each other, if anyone comes across a dodgy seller then likewise.

Maybe we could use this thread to let each other know that we have bids on an item, not sure how it will work out but could save us money bidding against each other.

We could also circumvent feebay with items for sale. It would not only be to our advantage by saving around a 14% sales fee but we may even be able to sort out gold/silver trades. There are times when I would be happy to trade quantities of silver for gold and vice versa.

Any other info that can help with pricing/buying/selling would also be gratefully accepted by anyone here. We all know the main internet based dealers but any other info about buyers/sellers with descent rates would be great as would alerts to special offers. CID often have offers but by the time one finds out they are sold out, maybe we can use this thread to help each other out with all buying/selling knowledge.

I wouldn't want to restrict the thread just to gold either, silver info all welcome.

They sound like good ideas. However, wouldn't we all want to trade Au-Ag or Ag -Au at the same time?

One other point, Silver in particular can be considerably cheaper from the US, if you know which sellers will send "car parts" or similar - we could share info on those sellers.

In the mean time you all leave my bid on the 1oz Pd bar alone OK! It's not worth any more anyway.

HOLA447
They sound like good ideas. However, wouldn't we all want to trade Au-Ag or Ag -Au at the same time?

One other point, Silver in particular can be considerably cheaper from the US, if you know which sellers will send "car parts" or similar - we could share info on those sellers.

In the mean time you all leave my bid on the 1oz Pd bar alone OK! It's not worth any more anyway.

I agree that those of us interested in the gsr will want to trade around the same time but not everyone plays like that. Many will be interested in the future of silver/gold rather than a short term ratio.

I know a car parts seller but we talking 500 oz.

HOLA448

Hi,

First Time Poster

I'm looking at selling 9.8kg of pre 1947 silver coinage about £90 face value

My eBay account (dreamweb00) with 500+ 100% positive feedback has the items listed.

I'm willing to sell outside of eBay for slightly under spot + P&P

As no fees I can sell cheaper.

Willing to sell in one lot or can break up into smaller lots.

If your interested please email me at mshaiz00@hotmail.com or via eBay

Thank you

Edited by foo dog

HOLA449
Hi,

First Time Poster

I'm looking at selling 9.8kg of pre 1947 silver coinage about £90 face value

My eBay account (dreamweb00) with 500+ 100% positive feedback has the items listed.

I'm willing to sell outside of eBay for slightly under spot + P&P

As no fees I can sell cheaper.

Willing to sell in one lot or can break up into smaller lots.

If your interested please email me at mshaiz00@hotmail.com or via eBay

Thank you

Hi foo dog, I have seen your listings but tbh they are a little rich for me. I tend to work on 10 times face value for junk silver. My local coin guy only pays 7.5 times face for post 1920 stuff. Not sure many will pay near spot for 50% coinage which maybe why the lots aren't selling, been doing well with the .999 1oz stuff though, got many more rounds/bars?

HOLA4410

Good idea richyc. I know we have discussed doing it and now you have.

A fellow HPCer did offer me some Au and Ag for sale privately but it was difficult to deal. At least with ebay you know that they have the sellers financial details on file and you can see the feedback.

If you get ripped off on ebay the police will trace the seller from info supplied by ebay. I know this because I reported someone to the police once and they traced them and got me a refund.

Not so easy on here unless seller is local and you can meet up. Still worth a thread though

HOLA4411
Hi foo dog, I have seen your listings but tbh they are a little rich for me. I tend to work on 10 times face value for junk silver. My local coin guy only pays 7.5 times face for post 1920 stuff. Not sure many will pay near spot for 50% coinage which maybe why the lots aren't selling, been doing well with the .999 1oz stuff though, got many more rounds/bars?

I look at these auctions from time to time on ebay, and other than poorly described or under-priced buy-it-now lots(which are nice!), bulk/scrap 1920-1947 silver coins seem to go for roughly the value of their silver content minus the postage costs.

Am I missing something?

sjiff

HOLA4412
I look at these auctions from time to time on ebay, and other than poorly described or under-priced buy-it-now lots(which are nice!), bulk/scrap 1920-1947 silver coins seem to go for roughly the value of their silver content minus the postage costs.

Am I missing something?

sjiff

Not at all, junk silver tends to sell pretty well on ebay but still tends to sell below spot for the silver content. I only buy junk on ebay if I can snatch it at a good price and will only pay anywhere near spot for pre 1920 stuff in good conition.

The trouble with junk coins (50%) is that there is no exit strategy, unless selling privately you are looking at prices way below spot. My local guy pays 7.5 times face value which equates to about 50% of spot, not sure how much more the bullion houses would pay if at all. With that in mind, I think that paying anywhere near spot is very expensive.

HOLA4413
Not at all, junk silver tends to sell pretty well on ebay but still tends to sell below spot for the silver content.

I haven't been looking for long, but my experience is that properly described bulk coins like this typically go for more than about 95% of spot when you add postage to the final bid.

I agree with you about snatching bargains though - they definitely come up, like the guy who listed some bulk lots recently at a buy-it-now price something like 40% below spot. They disappeared VERY quickly! Maybe the point is that you don't HAVE to pay anything like spot if you're patient and keep your eyes open.

The trouble with junk coins (50%) is that there is no exit strategy, unless selling privately you are looking at prices way below spot.

If you are okay with selling back through ebay, then there's your exit strategy (minus fees of, what, 6%?). Happy to admit that doesn't suit everyone, especially if you're talking about unloading kilos of the stuff at once.

My local guy pays 7.5 times face value which equates to about 50% of spot, not sure how much more the bullion houses would pay if at all. With that in mind, I think that paying anywhere near spot is very expensive.

I assume he moves the multiplier around to account for changes in the GBP spot price?

I'd certainly prefer fine silver coins, but if the price of silver appreciates significantly in the next few years, do you think they'll maintain their premium to spot? How much does a dealer presently pay for such a coin relative to spot?

sjiff

HOLA4414
If you are okay with selling back through ebay, then there's your exit strategy (minus fees of, what, 6%?). Happy to admit that doesn't suit everyone, especially if you're talking about unloading kilos of the stuff at once.

I assume he moves the multiplier around to account for changes in the GBP spot price?

I'd certainly prefer fine silver coins, but if the price of silver appreciates significantly in the next few years, do you think they'll maintain their premium to spot? How much does a dealer presently pay for such a coin relative to spot?

sjiff

Ebay fees are 10% final value fee plus the listing fee. Accepting paypal payments means a further 3.4% plus 20p so all in all selling through feebay costs you around 14%. That means that if reselling on ebay you need to have bought at a good price just to break even when taking out 14% plus postage.

Local guy doesn't move the multiplier ever, they are set in stone 7.5 face for pre '47 and 9 face for pre '20. He sells rarer dates and good condition coins seperately, not sure what he does with the rest. I guess he sends the scrap for melting, I don't imagine that refiners would pay much for 50% scrap because of the work involved.

HOLA4415

A bit of shameless income generation here.

If you register with linemypocket.co.uk you get 2% cashback on winning bids with ebay which often covers the postage.

To get you started put my referrer code in when you register and they give you £5 (and me too)

You don't get the £5 if you register without a code

Referrer code: R56660X

HOLA4416
Ebay fees are 10% final value fee plus the listing fee. Accepting paypal payments means a further 3.4% plus 20p so all in all selling through feebay costs you around 14%. That means that if reselling on ebay you need to have bought at a good price just to break even when taking out 14% plus postage.

My mistake, I didn't realise ebay's fees had gotten so high. I buy through ebay now and then, but haven't sold anything for years - don't think I'll be in a hurry to do so now!

Even if it's 14% for ebay though, that's still a hell of a lot better than 50% via a dealer.

Either way, I don't think many people buying now are planning to try and score a quick 10% gain over a few weeks. Rather, I suspect many are thinking that within a decade the price of silver will be a large multiple of what it is today, and aren't that fussed about (or even thinking about) the premium for selling on ebay at that time.

Local guy doesn't move the multiplier ever, they are set in stone 7.5 face for pre '47 and 9 face for pre '20. He sells rarer dates and good condition coins seperately, not sure what he does with the rest. I guess he sends the scrap for melting, I don't imagine that refiners would pay much for 50% scrap because of the work involved.

The relative cost of extracting silver from 50% coins will reduce significantly as the price of silver increases, which will push prices towards the spot price of the silver content for everything.

Also, if your dealer is buying pre 1920 coins at only 9 times face value, surely that's a considerably worse rate relative to spot than for 1920-1946 coins? I'd have thought pre 1920 coins would get a better relative rate given their significantly higher silver content. And in that case, why do you prefer pre 1920 to pre 1947 coins, if dealer buyback prices are your guide to value?

I suppose the short version of the above is that I don't understand why you're so negative specifically about 1920-1946 coins, given that getting rid of them appears no easier or harder than pre 1920 coins, or even other bullion coins. All of them attract a high premium to sell back via ebay, and dealers will only buy them back at a significant discount.

Sorry for the terseness of this reply, but I've now tried twice to submit a longer one and the new version of Firefox decided freeze on me so I lost both of them. Just about had enough, frankly!

sjiff

PS - As I said before, there are definitely some discounts to be had on ebay if you're patient and do some research.

HOLA4417
Also, if your dealer is buying pre 1920 coins at only 9 times face value, surely that's a considerably worse rate relative to spot than for 1920-1946 coins? I'd have thought pre 1920 coins would get a better relative rate given their significantly higher silver content. And in that case, why do you prefer pre 1920 to pre 1947 coins, if dealer buyback prices are your guide to value?

I suppose the short version of the above is that I don't understand why you're so negative specifically about 1920-1946 coins, given that getting rid of them appears no easier or harder than pre 1920 coins, or even other bullion coins. All of them attract a high premium to sell back via ebay, and dealers will only buy them back at a significant discount.

Sorry for the terseness of this reply, but I've now tried twice to submit a longer one and the new version of Firefox decided freeze on me so I lost both of them. Just about had enough, frankly!

sjiff

PS - As I said before, there are definitely some discounts to be had on ebay if you're patient and do some research.

I prefer pre '20 stuff as you say because of the silver content. My local dealer is old, not sure if he keeps up with silver spot or is just a conman but I use him because he sells gold coin for a small % over fix. While his silver prices are set in stone he works on the london gold fix for gold so if there has been a big move since the am fix then I can get a good price before the pm fix is in. I would never sell silver coinage to him. What a dealer/refiner would pay is always in the back of my mind when purchasing as it is the easiest/quickest exit strategy although given time/choice I would likely unload privately or on ebay (so long as I can atleast break even given the fees).

I am not negative about post '20 stuff, still buy it and have kilo's, just won't pay near spot for it.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

This has nothing to do with eBay but rather than start a new thread - either the Cash Generator store chain don't know what the current spot price of gold is or I don't. I've discounted the theory that they are fly-by-nights because I know they are not as I've bought Au under spot at two of their shops. But not until today did I realise they sold via the Net too.

I just purchased a 26g 18c curb chain from them online for a total price of £245 (£230 + £15 postage). That was the outstanding bargain I managed to unearth. Though, not to be a greedy guts, there's plenty more there for beneath spot for those who might want to fill their boots.

https://www.cashgenerator.co.uk/bargains-on...ch=gold%20chain

HOLA4421
This has nothing to do with eBay but rather than start a new thread - either the Cash Generator store chain don't know what the current spot price of gold is or I don't. I've discounted the theory that they are fly-by-nights because I know they are not as I've bought Au under spot at two of their shops. But not until today did I realise they sold via the Net too.

I just purchased a 26g 18c curb chain from them online for a total price of £245 (£230 + £15 postage). That was the outstanding bargain I managed to unearth. Though, not to be a greedy guts, there's plenty more there for beneath spot for those who might want to fill their boots.

https://www.cashgenerator.co.uk/bargains-on...ch=gold%20chain

so it acid tests as?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Difficult to say as delivery is 3-5 business days. I saved the page before buying just in case it turns out to be less pure than advertised.

Must have been a mistake

Not seen anything else on their site below spot.

Good find. You seem to have got a bargain.

HOLA4424

When I submitted #20 in this thread, in addition to the chain I purchased, there were four all gold items there under spot. Two 9c 60g curb chains going for £395 and £349 total, respectively, a 9c 22g clown pendant at £126 total and a 9c 10g gent's wedding band for £48 total.

As well as the chain, I bought a diamond studded bracelet from a different Cash Generator shop whose gold content was worth exactly the same I could have sold for scrap at the refiner's so that was a bargain too, though both are to serve as gifts this Crimbo as I've oodles of 'proper' gold bullion.

The separate order confirmation emails proved interesting. One read: Trading Name: McCallum Enterprises Limited, Company Reg Number: 6486623, Vat Reg Number: 932281338. The other: Trading Name: Cash Generator Ltd, Company Reg Number: 2258951, Vat Reg Number: 633894705.

It does seem from those that they franchise out some of their outlets, and at least one manager isn't paying paying attention to spot volatility.

Anyhow, I just had another nose round there and it does appear to be out of value Au, however it might be worth keeping an eye out occasionally there.

Oh, espied this https://www.cashgenerator.co.uk/Chains/Jewellery/NA102

Not a lot under valued all told but still beneath its real worth.

HOLA4425