House Price Crash Forum

Iceland Not To Pay Back The Uk

HOLA441
Ask yourself this, why are British and Dutch tax payers currently on the hook for bailing domestic Icelandic depositors? Because that's what the present situation is.

Because Messrs Brown and Darling decreed it should be so. Same as with Northern Rock et al - except that in the latter case they had a commitment in respect of up to £35k per depositor.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
A few of them benefitted. Just as a few Brits benefitted, and we're all just so happy about bailing out Fred Goodwin's pension, aren't we?

As for 4 wheel drive vehicles, they're not a consequence of the banking boom. Iceland has basically only one paved road, and at certain times of year even parts of that get challenging to navigate. There's more justification for an Icelander to have a 4wd than for a Brit to have any car whatsoever.

Of course there will be those who benefitted and those who didn't. I'm saying that Iceland as a whole benefitted. Before going into investment banking, Icelanders were largely subsistence cod fishermen. My post was in response to another poster who suggested that the Icelanders did not benefit at all.

HOLA443
Of course there will be those who benefitted and those who didn't. I'm saying that Iceland as a whole benefitted. Before going into investment banking, Icelanders were largely subsistence cod fishermen. My post was in response to another poster who suggested that the Icelanders did not benefit at all.

Theres no such thing as "the icelanders" in this case.

Some benefited, some didn't - there are records so use those. Why everyone has to suffer for a handful of ******wits I await a cogent response to.

It's only paper anyway, end the legal tender laws and everyobne will be where they should be.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest sillybear2
The position we are in now is that the UK and Dutch Governments have made good the losses of the Icesavers. We are where we are. So the choice is either the UK taxpayer foots the bill or the Icelandic taxpayer foots the bill. Unless you are advocating that the Government take the money back off the Icesavers. :rolleyes:

Remember that the money itself in the form of cash deposits never went bad as such, it was simply washed around the Icelandic banking system to make good their own losses. The money is still in their system in the form of domestic Icelandic deposits or foreign assets, their loan losses should have come in the form of haircuts for Icelandic depositors or landed on the Icelandic tax payer, or both, the same way HBOS losses are landed on the British tax payer.

It doesn't matter how you cut it, it's comes down to wanting to have your cake and eat it. So the tax payer doesn't see why they should bail out a formerly private owned bank, yet at the same time fail to see the contradiction that their savings now enjoy a sovereign guarantee and wouldn't exist at all if it wasn't for their government plundering on their behalf.

Edited by sillybear2

HOLA448
Guest absolutezero
Yes, I find that odd given that Injin doesn't believe in the concept of countries, why should savers and tax payers in a geographically labeled 'British' street be forced to bail out a street full of fraudsters in 'Iceland'? Obviously Injin's circular logic didn't think that far.

Don't expect a reply to that....

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Guest sillybear2
Because Messrs Brown and Darling decreed it should be so. Same as with Northern Rock et al - except that in the latter case they had a commitment in respect of up to £35k per depositor.

True, the British government was culpable to a degree because the FSA should never have authorised banks with flawed and unfunded compensation schemes to advertise and operate in the UK market. Maybe we were stupid enough to assume that all EEA members would play by the rules. Nevertheless the Icelandic banks still took in the assets so the countervailing liability remains.

Edited by sillybear2

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Guest sillybear2
Perhaps Brown and Darling should reimburse victims of Nigerian 419 scams too.

I think we already did in the form of Bradford & Bingley's BTL loan book for Thamesmead.