House Price Crash Forum

Gauranteed Destruction

HOLA441

some are destined not to take action and believe the government will save us

some take action

http://www.lewrockwell.com/north/north718.html

Your friends don't want to hear your pessimism anymore. They don't want to change. They will refuse to change.

In 1934, Ludwig von Mises realized that Hitler, an Austrian, would seek to bring Austria under German hegemony. He warned Jewish economists to leave. They had been his students at his famous seminar in Vienna. Fritz Machlup believed him, and came to the U.S. So did Gottfried Haberler. Mises went to Switzerland as a professor, leaving his great personal library behind. He fled to the U.S. in 1940, after France had fallen. He never got a full-time teaching job again.

A few listened. Most did not. "No problem."

HEARING, THEY WILL NOT HEAR

People count the costs of making a change. This is wise. Jesus taught:

For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it? Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him, Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish. Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand? Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage [ambassador], and desireth conditions of peace (Luke 14:28–32).

In short, count the costs. This is what people have refused to do. They have counted the cost of doing something radical. It's high. They have counted the immediate cost of doing nothing new. It seems low. They prefer doing nothing.

But what about the long term? What about:

1. Retirement (no Social Security or Medicare)

2. The Federal Deficit ($1.8 trillion this year)

3. Federal Reserve's monetary base (doubled)

4. Falling house prices

5. Rising unemployment

6. The war in Afghanistan (forever, until our defeat)

"No problem!"

How do you reason with these people? Answer: you don't, if you value your time and your privacy. If you turn out to be wrong, you will be ridiculed or at least treated as a child. If you are correct, you will be hated. You will also be hit up for money. If you are a Christian, you will be told you are heartless. You will become a line of credit for those whose mantra was "No problem!"

They don't want to change. They will not change. They will not listen to you.

And when things turn out much worse than even most newsletter writers are forecasting, you will be hated. Are you prepared for this?

Do you have a real plan to deal with what is obviously an unfolding disaster: rising government ownership, massive deficits, rising unemployment, falling house prices, busted retirement pensions, rising interest rates (falling corporate bonds), and Federal Reserve inflation on a scale never seen in American history?

Or do you think you can delay. "No problem!"

CONCLUSION

We live in today's world. It's bad, but it's not a catastrophe. We must keep our heads above water.

A Tsunami is coming. In such a scenario, you have got to get out of the water and off the beach. But few people ever do, unless they have seen a tsunami. Few have.

Allocate some percent of your wealth to tsunami-avoidance. Do it quietly. Do not discuss this with your big-mouth brother-in-law.

What do you really think is likely to happen? Not what you would prefer will happen.

Think, "General Motors in October 2007"

Think Chrysler, Merrill Lynch, and Lehman Brothers.

No one saw it coming. It came.

Problems. Big, big problems.

HOLA442
HOLA443
I am sick of mature, experienced people saying things like this to me when I explain the current situation to them.

fookw1ts, they deserve all they get imo.

+1

I'm sick of people telling me that things will get back to 'normal' soon.

The last decade was NOT 'normal'!

When will people understand that?

HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest Daddy Bear
I am sick of mature, experienced people saying things like this to me when I explain the current situation to them.

fookw1ts, they deserve all they get imo.

Remember when you fell over as a child and scabbed up your knees - taught you to be more careful eh?

The collapse in paper is a pre requisite for progression.

You have to break eggs to make an omlette.

HOLA446
Remember when you fell over as a child and scabbed up your knees - taught you to be more careful eh?

The collapse in paper is a pre requisite for progression.

You have to break eggs to make an omlette.

"Most people would rather die than change" - Satir.

HOLA447

On the news just now was a report on the death of last survivor of the Titanic.

In an old interview she said people believed that the Titanic was unsinkable so they just carried on dancing

when the ship hit an iceberg.

HOLA448