House Price Crash Forum

About Eastern Europe

HOLA441

Hello everyone. This is my first post here, so I'm really glad to see you here. I'm from Kiev, Ukraine and I'm on this forum because I'll move to UK in september and I decided it's time to get to know your property market.

I could not miss the fact that a lot of people here are talking about investing in Eastern Europe. Well I wouldn't recommend that, unless you have really good knowledge about local markets here. I myself have made about 1000% with several appartments in Kiev, but it's not possible any more. Only last year there has been about 65% growth. Right now the prices are stable for a month. Everyone here believes that this is the peak and it could not go any higher. There are almost no deals right now (because buyers expect lower prices) and the number of offers has beaten all records (as far as I know).

There's a thread below that says Moscow is still booming. Well that's not true. It's pretty much the same as in Kiev, but the prices there are actually declining for several weaks now.

I'm not saying you can not earn money on those markets, but you have to know what youre doing and why, otherwise it's not the best time to invest there.

P.S: In Kiev investing in good commercial property is still a good option, but you have to be careful anyway.

See ya.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Well done on your perfect timing.

Oh, and congratulations on your spookily colloquial English, apart from a couple of comedy typos. Are your schools really that much better than ours? I'm impressed. How long are you being transported to Blighty for?

You could easily pass for a native, unless you have a dodgy accent.

Or a big fur hat. :)

HOLA444

4 nix: I didn't really go into research, here are my thoughts after a quick view.

Well... I'm not sure. There are good sides about this project and there are bad ones. Let me tell you about Slavsk first.

It's the most popular place here for skiing, because it's a cool place and it's the easiest to get to. From Kiev you can just hop onto a train in the evening, then get off at 7 a.m and be skiing in 20 minutes (ok, maybe a bit later because the lifts don't work that early :)). I've been there for like 10 times and I know the area pretty well. As allways, location is very important. There are several places to ski there. The most popular one is mountain Trostyan (it has 10 lifts or so, many different tracks) I haven't found a map on that web site, but if the place is 350 m away from one of the lifts to Trostyan - that's good. On the other hand, for 130million they could build their own tracks and lifts...

The bad sides.

Slavsk's level is really far from skiing resorts not only in Alps, but even Slovakia. I personally go there only because it's easy to get to. I can go there friday evening and be back to work monday morning and get two full days of skiing, without worrying about visas etc.

Slavks is really overpopulated in winter seasons. The lifts are all very old and slow (and they break down regularly). So you may have to wait for an hour untill your turn on a busy weekend. And the tracks are often in really bad condition.

Not much snow. This year (it was the worst i think) there was no snow until the end of january.

"Prices per night for basic no ensuite rooms are around $80! Local hotels are often booked up two seasons in advance."

Thats completely not true. This year I stayed in a decent ensuite room for 30$ with a breakfast right next to a lift to Trostyan. Frankly, if you don't care about good conditions and you don't mind to walk for like 20 minutes - you can stay for 2-5$

I tend to think more positively about this project then negatively, but I wouldn't buy there. I mean I only ski for about 10 days yearly, why would I need a 40 000k apartment there? And what if I'd like to ski on a different resort? But hey, that's just me...

HOLA445

4 Wario

I'm younger then you might think. So I'm going to do an MSc in Manchester Business School for a year. I'll think about staying afterwards.

I don't think the schools are better. Except probably for math, physics and stuff like that.

Edited by 2positive

HOLA446
HOLA447
Hi 2positive

as you are from Ukraine - I would be interested to hear what you think about this new development in Slavsk:

http://www.hanrocdevelopments.com/eagle_valley.php

Do you think that Ukrainians would buy here?

Thanks

Nix

would you fancy a punt on this one, perhaps 50/50 with me? I see £60000 gets you a 33m2 studio in Finland in a well known ski area but bloody cold in winter yet long season, very safe and 50% nonstatus mortgages very obtainable.

How would one let a Ukranian property?

HOLA448

There is an on-site rental agency in the Slavsk development. Prices obtained are dependent on season and management fees are set at 20%. There is an alternative whereby you can handle the renting of the apartment yourself and the company has teamed up with a Kiev web design company to help you. Website creation 240 euros, annual hosting fee 80 euros.

HOLA449
Nix

would you fancy a punt on this one, perhaps 50/50 with me? I see £60000 gets you a 33m2 studio in Finland in a well known ski area but bloody cold in winter yet long season, very safe and 50% nonstatus mortgages very obtainable.

Dogbox

Are you talking about taking a punt on the Ukrainian or Finland ski development?

At the moment im more interested in the Ukrainian option

HOLA4410
4 nix: I didn't really go into research, here are my thoughts after a quick view.

Well... I'm not sure. There are good sides about this project and there are bad ones. Let me tell you about Slavsk first.

It's the most popular place here for skiing, because it's a cool place and it's the easiest to get to. From Kiev you can just hop onto a train in the evening, then get off at 7 a.m and be skiing in 20 minutes (ok, maybe a bit later because the lifts don't work that early :)). I've been there for like 10 times and I know the area pretty well. As allways, location is very important. There are several places to ski there. The most popular one is mountain Trostyan (it has 10 lifts or so, many different tracks) I haven't found a map on that web site, but if the place is 350 m away from one of the lifts to Trostyan - that's good. On the other hand, for 130million they could build their own tracks and lifts...

The bad sides.

Slavsk's level is really far from skiing resorts not only in Alps, but even Slovakia. I personally go there only because it's easy to get to. I can go there friday evening and be back to work monday morning and get two full days of skiing, without worrying about visas etc.

Slavks is really overpopulated in winter seasons. The lifts are all very old and slow (and they break down regularly). So you may have to wait for an hour untill your turn on a busy weekend. And the tracks are often in really bad condition.

Not much snow. This year (it was the worst i think) there was no snow until the end of january.

"Prices per night for basic no ensuite rooms are around $80! Local hotels are often booked up two seasons in advance."

Thats completely not true. This year I stayed in a decent ensuite room for 30$ with a breakfast right next to a lift to Trostyan. Frankly, if you don't care about good conditions and you don't mind to walk for like 20 minutes - you can stay for 2-5$

I tend to think more positively about this project then negatively, but I wouldn't buy there. I mean I only ski for about 10 days yearly, why would I need a 40 000k apartment there? And what if I'd like to ski on a different resort? But hey, that's just me...

2positive

Thanks for the info - interesting to hear the 'local' perspective

I had noticed the massive rise of prices in Kiev and thought that this increase in property prices could spread to other areas in Ukraine like Slavsk - I am still looking into the opportunity but it is not top of my list at the moment

HOLA4411
Dogbox

Are you talking about taking a punt on the Ukrainian or Finland ski development?

At the moment im more interested in the Ukrainian option

Ukrainian - bit of a punt and we dont really know if its good value plus global warming should not be dismissed.

Im open minded - Finland I think could become more popular now as people are mindful of the risk in booking hols in advance to France et al given snow unsurity, where as the gamble on booking a hol in Finland is minimal - it always snows.

All just musings of course - France may get 20 ft of snow this December.

HOLA4412
Ukrainian - bit of a punt and we dont really know if its good value plus global warming should not be dismissed.

Im open minded - Finland I think could become more popular now as people are mindful of the risk in booking hols in advance to France et al given snow unsurity, where as the gamble on booking a hol in Finland is minimal - it always snows.

All just musings of course - France may get 20 ft of snow this December.

Well I have already agreed to go 50/50 with a friend of mine if we decide to go for this so Im afraid you are on your own for this one!

He was due to visit the development but this has not happened yet - to be honest im leaving more of the research to him on Ukraine as I have never been there and he knows a few people out there already