House Price Crash Forum

The Old Get Richer As Under-34s Fall Behind

Guest Charlie The Tramp

HOLA441
You're right - but those types tend to buy/be bought 3-bed houses in my experience - not a 5+ bedroom house.

I'm sure Son of Taeper was using a stereotype purely to put down the younger generation, as he usually does.

Well spotted (excuse the pun :D )

I was stereotyping but not with the intention of putting down the younger generation (just as when we say wrinklie)

I don't care if you're 25 or 65, you don't have a god given right to property or a job. You have to work at it.

Stonehenge is a good example of what you can achieve if you work hard enough.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Well spotted (excuse the pun :D )

I was stereotyping but not with the intention of putting down the younger generation (just as when we say wrinklie)

I don't care if you're 25 or 65, you don't have a god given right to property or a job. You have to work at it.

Stonehenge is a good example of what you can achieve if you work hard enough.

Much easier on the heart and the brain to talk about stereotypes than real people isn't it?

I agree that I don't have a god given right to a property or a job. I worked hard for my property and I've worked hard in my career to get where I have. Working hard has never been a problem for me.

Stonehenge? Errr right, thanks for that top tip! I feel so much better and motivated now. :blink:

HOLA443
You're even more ignorant than I originally thought. Why don't you educate yourself by finding out what a straw man argument actually is?

Not at all, I think you have more dead brain cells than I gave you credit for.

For the benefit of those that have not come across the term Straw Man.

Now re-read his post and see why it was so funny.

While the guys are reading the wiki maybe 'bugged bunny' can decide he spends too much time complaining about his sorry state of affairs and get himself educated to the sort of level where he can purchase that rabbit hutch instead of renting it.

HOLA444
Supply and demand.

So me downsizing has helped the ftb by.......err, which one, supply or demand ? :unsure:

It would have helped a lot more if you'd downsized sooner of course.

Helped who, you ? anyone ? :blink:

But you've made loadsamoney by downsizing now and that's seems to be the bottom line as far as your concerned.

Yeah, got a bit stashed away, just waiting for the crash now. Bring it on eh ;)

HOLA445
Not at all, I think you have more dead brain cells than I gave you credit for.

For the benefit of those that have not come across the term Straw Man.

Now re-read his post and see why it was so funny.

While the guys are reading the wiki maybe 'bugged bunny' can decide he spends too much time complaining about his sorry state of affairs and get himself educated to the sort of level where he can purchase that rabbit hutch instead of renting it.

If only your brain was as big as your ego, then I might enjoy some intelligent responses.

You make far too many lazy assumptions.

I don't rent my flat, I bought it (yes, I do have a mortgage but also a fair-sized chunk of equity). I am a female with an IQ in the genius range. I already have an excellent education, ta very much. I have a degree from one of world's top universities and two post-graduate degrees.

I've not been complaining specifically about my 'sorry state of affairs' because it's not that sorry, relatively speaking.

Unlike you, I can see beyond my own wallet, I'm looking at the bigger picture and have the good grace to recognise that there are plenty of young people who are much worse off than me.

HOLA446
If only your brain was as big as your ego, then I might enjoy some intelligent responses.

If my brain was as big as my ego and your brain was twice as big as you thought it was you might understand said intelligent responses

You make far too many lazy assumptions.

I don't rent my flat, I bought it (yes, I do have a mortgage but also a fair-sized chunk of equity).

***Read as rent***

I am a female with an IQ in the genius range. I already have an excellent education, ta very much. I have a degree from one of world's top universities and two post-graduate degrees.

Yikes, glad I put clean unerwear on :D

I've not been complaining specifically about my 'sorry state of affairs' because it's not that sorry, relatively speaking.

Unlike you, I can see beyond my own wallet, I'm looking at the bigger picture and have the good grace to recognise that there are plenty of young people who are much worse off than me.

Unfair.

True, my wallet is quite close to my heart but to state I do not recognise there are people (old and young) worse off than me is unkind. In fact, only yesterday I helped an old disabled woman across a busy road. She didn't want to go but I got her over in the end :P (joking, I'm joking.)

My gripe is with the whingers that expect it all on a plate and if you read my posts in context you should see that.

HOLA447

Similar here; my situation is depressing, but at the end of the day, I'll be okay.

However I see friends, who started university too late to get free tuition fees or student grants, graduating with 20,000-30,000 in debt (a student loan won't cover anything but the cheapest accommodation here; I don't mean cover after food, I mean many people pay more than the student loan total amount for their room in halls), and think about how long it will take them to pay that off, let alone start saving for a house. I got a good job straight out of university, but what about friends who weren't so lucky?

The answer appears to we'll be doing a mass (dozen or more university graduates as a group) exodus to Canada, BTW.

HOLA448
Similar here; my situation is depressing, but at the end of the day, I'll be okay.

However I see friends, who started university too late to get free tuition fees or student grants, graduating with 20,000-30,000 in debt (a student loan won't cover anything but the cheapest accommodation here; I don't mean cover after food, I mean many people pay more than the student loan total amount for their room in halls), and think about how long it will take them to pay that off, let alone start saving for a house. I got a good job straight out of university, but what about friends who weren't so lucky?

The answer appears to we'll be doing a mass (dozen or more university graduates as a group) exodus to Canada, BTW.

Good on your friends! If I was that deep in debt from student loans I would declare myself bankrupt and move to a civilised country. It's great that you'll be going together.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Hello again, it's my birthday so lets all be nice :P I've learned quite alot from reading the forum and most of it interesting stuff. It's of no help really but I do believe that the current generation has got the brunt from two main things.

1) Property prices are ridiculously high, no argument.

2) They mostly (ok, not all) started to think about buying a house very very late compared to alot of older people, although probably not the very old, like my parents who were first generation buyers at about 30.

I do not blame anyone for thinking about it late, it's a different world out there today and most would admit that compared to how we lived it is a consumer obsessed society in comparison. The biggest con in my book is further education, it used to be the preserve of the highly intelligent, the minority did it (so no need for fees) and their payback for starting work years after the rest of us was higher wages, fair enough. Well, I'm sorry but pushing everyone into further education was always going to have repurcussions, so now they do it because employers want degrees for jobs that do not require degrees, unless you are looking at a profession you should not need a flippin degree, you start work 3 to 5 years later, with a huge chunk of debt and so on a so forth, well hello, time waits for no man.

So there you have it, a double whammy to contend with in my humble opinion. I only say save as much as you can because there really is nothing else you can do but to save and wait for the bubble to burst and if it doesn't well....cross that bridge if and when you have to. Good luck.

Edited by Hope

HOLA4413
Hello again, it's my birthday so lets all be nice :P I've learned quite alot from reading the forum and most of it interesting stuff. It's of no help really but I do believe that the current generation has got the brunt from two main things.

2) They mostly (ok, not all) started to think about buying a house very very late compared to alot of older people, although probably not the very old, like my parents who were first generation buyers at about 30.

I do not blame anyone for thinking about it late, it's a different world out there today and most would admit that compared to how we lived it is a consumer obsessed society in comparison. The biggest con in my book is further education, it used to be the preserve of the highly intelligent, the minority did it (so no need for fees) and their payback for starting work years after the rest of us was higher wages, fair enough. Well, I'm sorry but pushing everyone into further education was always going to have repurcussions, so now they do it because employers want degrees for jobs that do not require degrees, unless you are looking at a profession you should not need a flippin degree, you start work 3 to 5 years later, with a huge chunk of debt and so on a so forth, well hello, time waits for no man.

So there you have it, a double whammy to contend with in my humble opinion. I only say save as much as you can because there really is nothing else you can do but to save and wait for the bubble to burst and if it doesn't well....cross that bridge if and when you have to. Good luck.

Happy birthday "Hope" and a good post. I wish I could do that :P

HOLA4414

Happy birthday!

Good post - I agree with you about education and the burden of student debt. I was lucky enough to get a free university education. Unfortunately the universities are being run like businesses now, so the bottom line is usually bums on seats.

Edited by bugged bunny

HOLA4415

Thanks 'Bugged Bunny' and 'Taeper', just got back from a nice meal with hub and 2 kidults. I asked them in all honesty when they would like to move out, start a family etc. Son was a bit 'er, I dunno', younger daughter was 'well, I'm in no hurry, why rent, we have such freedom at home but I'd like to think about buying a place with a partner maybe at about 25 and kids by 30'.

Ok, I said, so that gives you 6 years, so don't you think going off travelling for a year might put you a bit behind those plans, I said.

But you do what your mates do and I know one thing, I will never go into debt, she said. So you do kinda think that your twenties are for enjoying yourself, I said, yes, she said, but can you see that you're then starting the process that we started at 20 a hell of alot later, I said, yes, she said. Then we got to talking about the millenium and she couldn't remember what we did, I told her we stood in the garden watching the fireworks....'but that's what I mean, you were only 38, should've been out having fun' she said. 'Um yes hon, but we were waiting for 2 young teenagers to come home' I said 'oh, yes, forgot that' she said. I had to point out to her that ok, maybe she wants a more exciting life but we started young and now look forward to being a bit free er (how do you spell that) in our late fourties, you may think post 40 isn't worth living but I can assure you, once you get there it most certainly is.

Please note that I am fully aware that most of you on the board are far more mature than my two kidults but I'm just trying to reiterate the point that saving, having kids etc all takes time and the later you start planning, saving, working, the later you finish, as I said 'time waits for no man'.