House Price Crash Forum

Bt Connection Charges

Willy Weasel

HOLA441

This is my first foray into renting so I'm a bit wet behind the ears. I rang BT to transfer my telephone account to the place I'm renting and was told that as a phone line wasn't connected there would be a connection charge of £125. I immediately telephoned the agent (who had told me that the property did have a telephone line) that as this was for the permanent benefit of the property, I was expecting the landlord to pay it. I haven't heard back yet from the agent confirming whether the landlord agrees. Does anyone else have any experience of this?

HOLA442
This is my first foray into renting so I'm a bit wet behind the ears. I rang BT to transfer my telephone account to the place I'm renting and was told that as a phone line wasn't connected there would be a connection charge of £125. I immediately telephoned the agent (who had told me that the property did have a telephone line) that as this was for the permanent benefit of the property, I was expecting the landlord to pay it. I haven't heard back yet from the agent confirming whether the landlord agrees. Does anyone else have any experience of this?

Yes I do. The current tenancy I have was advertised with a phone line but I soon discovered that while the property was being refurbished before I arrived the line was accidentally cut by the builder working in the roof space.

The landlord paid for the line to be installed again but I stayed in to make sure it was done properly.

If a property is advertised with a given feature it should have it when you arrive - simple as that.

HOLA443

unfortunately that is quite common, and the landlord will not normally pay. Get a cable telephone line instead, which normally has no installation charge.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I'm relying on the fact that the Landlord via the agent made a representation (that the phone was connected and the Landlord just couldn't remember the phone number) upon which I relied to my detriment. If the Landlord refuses to pay up, I shall deduct it from my next rental payment in settlement of my claim for misrepresentation. Both my wife and I are solicitors and the Landlord knows this so I don't expect him to sue us ;)