House Price Crash Forum

An Important Question.

hedi

HOLA441

we have just heard of record mortgage lending for the previous month.

does anyone know what the split is between new mortgages, remortgages and mews.?

it would be really fascinating if we could somehow find out.

HOLA442

we have just heard of record mortgage lending for the previous month.

does anyone know what the split is between new mortgages, remortgages and mews.?

it would be really fascinating if we could somehow find out.

Thatl b the council of morgage lenders data :P

http://www.cml.org.uk/

You heard slightly wrong though

Gross mortgage lending reached £28.7 billion in May according to new figures from the Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML). Lending was 18% higher than in April, and nearly 30% higher than in May last year. It was the strongest May figure on record and only 0.5% below the record for a single month seen in July 2004 (£28.9 billion).

Edited by moosetea

HOLA443
HOLA444

have a look at this, from the ODPM:

Download the PDF and look at figure 6:

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1163855

More interesting is fig.9 – repossessions. 29.2% up yoy! I wonder if this years fig.6’ers will be next years fig.9’ers!

As an aside, you’ll be pleased to hear that it is now more expensive to build social housing in London than it is to purchase it if you are a Registered Social Landlord. How this will filter through is anyones guess; my money is on land value in high social areas taking a big hit.

...and back to the main point, sorry....OD

HOLA445
HOLA446

As an aside, you’ll be pleased to hear that it is now more expensive to build social housing in London than it is to purchase it if you are a Registered Social Landlord. How this will filter through is anyones guess; my money is on land value in high social areas taking a big hit.

Do you have a link to some information about this please?

Ta!

HOLA447

Do you have a link to some information about this please?

Ta!

Sorry, no link as such, as RSL's have different ways of setting social values. Have a look at the housing corp. website, this might give you an idea as to the whole thing works.

Actually, scrap that, I work in social housing and I have no idea how it all works!

Cheers,

OD

HOLA448

I would question every press release from the CML. To quote their 'About Us':

"The Council of Mortgage Lenders is the trade association for the mortgage lending industry, and its members account for around 98% of UK residential mortgage lending.

Our aim is to help to foster a favourable operating environment in the UK housing and mortgage markets. We are the representative voice for the residential mortgage lending industry, and the central provider of economic, statistical, legal, research and other market information."

That'll be for it's members.

HOLA449
Guest Alright Jack

it's pretty irrelevant really. the mortgage mechanism is the primary method of inflating the system. the system will collapse if they stop.

look at the main chart on the front of this website and see what is happening. exactly the thing that was ridiculed (see kirsty, phil, tony, and gordon video) for so long.

the 'soft landing' is taking place.

when the prices in the rest of the economy have caught up to the point that the debt level is not posing a mortal threat to the solvency of the system the inflation will begin to ease. by that time we'll probably have recalibrated the currency to avoid £100 big mac meal. we'll all be very, very much poorer (global leveling) and the life expectancy will have fallen below sixty.

enjoy the ride.