House Price Crash Forum

New Labour Attracts More Thug Types To London

HOLA441

While Britain's tax rates are high compared with America's, it has a loophole for "non-domiciled" residents born outside the country. As long as they spend fewer than 183 days in the U.K. each year, and meet certain requirements regarding property ownership and years in the country, they needn't pay taxes on income earned outside the U.K. So they can live and play in London without paying into the welfare state.

Many regard that as a scandal. "Why should the rich plunder wealth abroad, bring it to London and contribute nothing, except to create a housing bubble?" asks Stewart Lansley, author of "Rich Britain: The Rise and Rise of the New Super-Wealthy."

Read all in http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12666058/site/newsweek/

Edited by Vivaldo

HOLA442
HOLA443
Guest Guy_Montag

I thought anyone that lived for more than 183 days outside the UK could avoid paying income tax on money earned abroad.

I have friends that work on (British flagged) ships who avoid income tax that way, even if it means taking the odd long holiday.

HOLA444

I thought anyone that lived for more than 183 days outside the UK could avoid paying income tax on money earned abroad.

I have friends that work on (British flagged) ships who avoid income tax that way, even if it means taking the odd long holiday.

Quite correct. The initial posting is not right. If you are not domiciled in the UK and intend to head back overseas in the next 2 or 3 years, then you do not pay tax for each day you are not physically in the UK so long as the money is not remitted on shore. Hence Jersey bank accounts.