House Price Crash Forum

Morocco - My Next Target

HOLA441
I would venture to suggest that anyone investing at Saidia really ought not be overly concerned with this Saidia "hot" or "cold" debate.This is a relative concept.I spend a great deal of time in the South of Spain(Almeria/Murcia-directly opposite Saidia) outside the peak periods and it remains a source of amusement to me that when i am wearing just a pair of shorts and sandals,the Spanish are clad in wooly jumpers and the Moroccans in overcoats!

Kms

Please pm me.I have reserved an end Penthouse on The Greens,and have many views on its merits relative to Oasis and LJDF.

Magnate, could you perhaps share your views on the relative merits in comparison to LJDF/Oasis? I would, in particular, like to hear your thoughts in comparison to RT7.

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
The terrorist attacks and the end of the construction boom is what would concern me most buying in Morrocco right now.

I agree, terrorism is a concern. So why did I take the risk?

Well firstly I considered some established Islamic tourist magnates, namely Turkey, Egypt, Dubai, Bali and Malaysia.

Egypt, Turkey, and Bali have had some high profile terrosist incidents yet in the end the Great British public have very short memories and its business as usual although a relatively short period of reduced tourism can occur.

My understanding is that Dubai is much less tolerant and liberal than Morocco, yet Dubai has been a great sucess even though its 7 hours away and pretty unattractive with no pretty or interesting coastline to speak of.

Im almost certain some terrorist incidents will occur in Morocco, but Im just as confident the British masses will forget, or just as likely NOT EVEN BE AWARE! A lot of Brits couldnt name a single Governmant mistister, let alone be up to speed on World events.

There is another dimension to this; What I call the 'come what may' factor. Although some of us fret and worry, others dont. When a couple of beach bombs went off in Turkey I recall asking someone whether they wanted to cancel thier forthcomming holiday, to which they replied 'what will be will be mate'.

SUMMARY

Will bombs go off = yes

Will people base thier holiday decisions on this = not really, they will forget within a few weeks and then be 'blown away' (exuse the pun) by a brochure showing huge facility laden golf and beach resorts with year round weather and close to the UK, end of really

Drakan Im also aware of the previous predicted boom that didnt get underway, but this time really is different in scale and determination. I dont think large developers such as Fadesa, Emaar (worlds biggest) and Gulf would be investing this heavily otherwise.

Spain is fine, but for me a little too crowded and over developed.

You say 'nothing changes', I say 'everything changes'. Remember with any new idea at first it seems absurd, then confusing yet later becomes 'the norm'. Many nations accross the world have been transformed by tourism. You know in the 1970s people from the UK thought Spain was backwards, with no infrastructure, brown tap water, liquid sh1tz and hotels that fell down!

HOLA444
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA445

An issue has been flagged by some people visiting Saidia.

An impression has been left in some buyers minds that some of the developers are not concerned about the standard or timing of the golf courses and that they just want to flog thier stock as quickly as possible WITHOUT TAKING THE TIME TO ANSWER PEOPLE'S VALID QUESTIONS ABOUT THE STANDARD AND TIMING OF THE FACILITIES - particularly golf and shopping.

If any developers out there have any input on this, it would be most welcome.

HOLA446
An issue has been flagged by some people visiting Saidia.

An impression has been left in some buyers minds that some of the developers are not concerned about the standard or timing of the golf courses and that they just want to flog thier stock as quickly as possible WITHOUT TAKING THE TIME TO ANSWER PEOPLE'S VALID QUESTIONS ABOUT THE STANDARD AND TIMING OF THE FACILITIES - particularly golf and shopping.

If any developers out there have any input on this, it would be most welcome.

Dogbox, could you expand on thes? Thes is the first relatively negative post you have posted with regards to Saidia. I have purchased a villa but have nagging doubts about what the end product will be with regards to the standard of thes resort etc.

It does worry me that thes developers will just want to be in and out as quick as possible. I hope the King will not accept anything less than 100% on his flagship resort??

HOLA447

Weren't there rumblings a few months ago that Seve Ballesteros had been signed up to put his stamp on one of the golf courses; including a golf academy to be sited there? I've also wondered about the state of the golf courses and haven't seen anything planted on any of them yet?

Another question, does anyone know/remember when the Barcelo is supposed to open?

HOLA448
Weren't there rumblings a few months ago that Seve Ballesteros had been signed up to put his stamp on one of the golf courses; including a golf academy to be sited there? I've also wondered about the state of the golf courses and haven't seen anything planted on any of them yet?

Another question, does anyone know/remember when the Barcelo is supposed to open?

Im not sure what is happening with the courses. Although the layout for the first one is mostly in place, they havent got any grass on it yet, but I know nothing about building golf courses, so maybe this is normal?

The Barcelo was originally planned to open in July 07 according to their website around xmas time, but I have just checked and it now says coming 2008. Why, I have no idea :unsure:

HOLA449
Where I live, this is unfortunately fact of life. We cannot get away from thes fact that terrorists prevail. It is the world today.

Is there actually a real estate forum devoted to real estate in the Middle East? Or is anyone buying anything there at all? Lol, but I'm serious about this question. What about Abu Dhabi?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Yes, I heard rumblings that Save Ballesteros was being lined up to be the name behind the golf courses. If memory serves me correctly the course in phase 1 (championship course) was to be a Ballesteros signature course and the other two would also have his name. I don't know what state of play is now. Don't remember anything about there being a golf accademy.

Agree with Rumpola on Barcelo. It isn't unusual for their to be delays with these things, particulary when it is only part of such a large development. Saidia is a hive of activity and you can see that things are progressing even if not as quickly as hotel operators / Fadesa had originally planned. I believe Port Lixus is experiencing the same, though it is at an earlier stage than Saidia.

HOLA4412
[Have a look at www.skyscrapercity.com. I find that's the best source of information on the net.

Ive tried this site a couple of times but could find nothing on Morocco let alone Moroccan property. If you have an exact link I would appreciate it

HOLA4413
Ive tried this site a couple of times but could find nothing on Morocco let alone Moroccan property. If you have an exact link I would appreciate it

Yes, Morocco is on the home page of www.skyscrapercity.com under Continental Forums. The most information is under Projects at the top of the Morocco page.

HOLA4414

Hi all,

I am considering handing over the first instalment having visited the site last Friday for an RT2 apartment.

I went out on a trip arranged through TMPA and was unaccompanied by an agent initially until a Commercial Director of Property Logic realised this and he showed me round for the day. There were numerous agents and potential buyers from a wide range of backgrounds and nationalities there including Brtish, Portugese and Estonian.

What struck me most was the lack of any "hard sell" whatsoever. The trip was exactly as advertised and everthing went on rails including hotel, flights and transport.

Weather was lovely - 20 odd degrees in early March which felt warm even with a northerly breeze off the sea.

Someone earlier said RT2 was 1st phase but I have seen it described as 2nd phase but in a 1st phase area. Anyway the shells of some of these are up. Does anyone know how far these are actually from the beach as it is difficult to tell from the diagram style plans which may not be properly to scale. If they are to scale and the site is 6km long then the front edge of RT2 would seem to be about 500m from the beach, bearing in mind it has a golf course in front of it and then the hotel, the one on the right of which as you look seaward is the King's one allegedly (it has minarets anyway).

Took some photos which I'll post when I work out how to do it on here.

By the way thanks to all the constructive posters so far.

HOLA4415
Hi all,

I am considering handing over the first instalment having visited the site last Friday for an RT2 apartment.

I went out on a trip arranged through TMPA and was unaccompanied by an agent initially until a Commercial Director of Property Logic realised this and he showed me round for the day. There were numerous agents and potential buyers from a wide range of backgrounds and nationalities there including Brtish, Portugese and Estonian.

What struck me most was the lack of any "hard sell" whatsoever. The trip was exactly as advertised and everthing went on rails including hotel, flights and transport.

Weather was lovely - 20 odd degrees in early March which felt warm even with a northerly breeze off the sea.

Someone earlier said RT2 was 1st phase but I have seen it described as 2nd phase but in a 1st phase area. Anyway the shells of some of these are up. Does anyone know how far these are actually from the beach as it is difficult to tell from the diagram style plans which may not be properly to scale. If they are to scale and the site is 6km long then the front edge of RT2 would seem to be about 500m from the beach, bearing in mind it has a golf course in front of it and then the hotel, the one on the right of which as you look seaward is the King's one allegedly (it has minarets anyway).

Took some photos which I'll post when I work out how to do it on here.

By the way thanks to all the constructive posters so far.

Nice to hear yet another poster reporting a pleasant climate - I was beginning to have doubts when some 'knowledgable' posters based in Morocco kept claiming it was cold.

Look forward to seeing your photos.

Anyone have any up to date photos of the marina?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I was out there 9 months ago and the beach bar, beach, marina and promenade looked the same as in these photos. Obviously the properties are being built for sale to investors but how quickly is the infrastructure happenning? Is there a 2nd beach bar yet? Have the golf courses progressed?

HOLA4422

Well not having seen what was there 9 months ago that's hard to say. There are various lined lakes of water that must be the golf water features but there is no grass or trees yet. Then again I'd expect these to be planted later anyway.

Anyone know a site that has a good satellite picture of the area?

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Found the Google Earth one which has good definition but as you say is a while out of date - before they flooded the inland bit of the marina. The marina is well over twice the size shown on Google Earth now, yet it says "copyright 2007" on the image which I don't think is right as I'm sure the marina was flooded last year.