House Price Crash Forum

Need Help Settling An Arguament !

HOLA441

What makes me fume is that Gordon Brown has, on one side, thousands of civil servants working out how much tax everyone should pay, and then thousands more on the other side working out how much to give back to people, instead of just taking less off the low-earners in the first place.

Now that's just so sensible.

Exactly, its just a game of smoke and mirrors

Why does anyone pay tax on the first £10,000 of earnings? you could not live on any less and the cost of taking this money away and then handing it back in different guises is just silly. Surely people who have children should look after them, does anyone really like the thought of Gordon paying for them? Whose children are they his or the parents?

HOLA442

What makes me fume is that Gordon Brown has, on one side, thousands of civil servants working out how much tax everyone should pay, and then thousands more on the other side working out how much to give back to people, instead of just taking less off the low-earners in the first place. [Ethel]

'Tax credits boys 'do not exist'':

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/4877708.stm

A couple in Devon say they have missed out on thousands of pounds in Child Tax Credits because officials have ruled their two children do not exist.

Brian and Anna Williams, who have two boys aged seven and three, also say they have received a letter threatening legal action for overpayments.

[...snip...]

Anna Williams said that the recent threat of legal action unless payments were returned added to the family's concerns.

She said: "I find it frustrating that a system error on their part has caused us so much work.

"It's also worrying as to whether they owe us money, or we owe them money, and if the bailiffs are going to turn up or not."

In Devon in 2005, about 10,000 families were underpaid tax credits and 20,000 overpaid.

HOLA443

Tax credits are income which you do not pay tax on. It is not a benefit in any sense of the word. If you do not earn the income then you cannot benefit from the tax credit.

Just want to add my voice to the many who have said already- tax credits are infact a refund of the tax you've already paid, handed back to you by a vast army of badly organised public servants. I'm a moderate lefty and certainly have no problem at all with the concept of the welfare state; I do however have a problem with the government paying one set of civil servants to take money from you in tax, and another set to hand it back to you in tax credits. I cannot see how the system is anything other than ludicrously wasteful.

HOLA444

Just want to add my voice to the many who have said already- tax credits are infact a refund of the tax you've already paid, handed back to you by a vast army of badly organised public servants. I'm a moderate lefty and certainly have no problem at all with the concept of the welfare state; I do however have a problem with the government paying one set of civil servants to take money from you in tax, and another set to hand it back to you in tax credits. I cannot see how the system is anything other than ludicrously wasteful.

But the system is perfick!

- Two sets of civil servants

- people grateful to the government for deigning to return some of their money

Wasteful, but efficient in getting core block of voters.