House Price Crash Forum

Jobless Upsurge Sparks Debt Fear In Lewes

HOLA441
HOLA442

'Jobless upsurge sparks debt fear'

'A Sussex MP has expressed his concern that unemployment is rising as families are getting into "record levels" of personal debt.

Norman Baker, Liberal Democrat MP for Lewes, was responding to unemployment figures released by the House of Commons Library which show an 8.8 per cent rise in the number of people in Lewes claiming job seekers allowance between December 2004 and December 2005.

Mr Baker said: "These figures are extremely worrying. The UK appears to be heading back to the bad old days of economic insecurity and queues at the job centre. Increasing unemployment when households are taking on record levels of personal borrowing spells real trouble."

He added: "The rise in people claiming job seekers allowance can no longer be dismissed as a temporary blip and is now becoming a very worrying permanent trend."

A spokeswoman for the department for work and pensions said there has been a rise in claimants but the number of people in work across the UK increased by 200,000 last year'

I live in Lewes & my Landlord (amongst others) had all 4 of his tyres slashed for the 3rd time recently. Either this is a sign of the place going downhill, despite being one of Britains most expensive towns to live in, or some little b*astard chavs are trying to drum up business for their mates down the tyre shop. Burn em at this years bonfire celebrations I say. :ph34r:

Edited by Badger

HOLA443
HOLA444
Guest Charlie The Tramp

Lewes, like many places , is a beautiful town where the middle class chavs have bought the bullsh1t. Its coming home - and I don't mean the world cup - I mean to roost.

It started comig home last May for many of the middle classes.

The £50,000 A Year High-fliers, trapped in a cycle of debt

To their friends and neighbours. they probably seem like high fliers who are sitting pretty. They earn at least £50,000 a year, have high powered jobs, big houses, and expensive cars.

But looks are notoriously deceptive and debt experts warn that impoverished professionals are on the increase.

There has been a sharp rise in the number of people or families who take home £3,000 a month net but are seeking help from the Consumer Credit Counselling Service.

Large numbers of middle class families seem to have gone deep into hock through credit cards, loans and remortgages to keep up appearances.

But rises in interest rates and higher household bills have driven many to the edge of financial meltdown.

Surveyor posted August 18th 2005

And most of the bankruptcy valuations I'm doing are on houses about £500,000 and up. It's not a pretty picture.

HOLA445

There is actual wealth and the illusion of wealth. Blairs Britain is all based on the illusion of wealth i.e. the perceived value of assets and not the actual value. Browns done a good job of pulling a smoke screen over our eyes, but i reckon there will be another winter of discontent.

HOLA446

There is actual wealth and the illusion of wealth. Blairs Britain is all based on the illusion of wealth i.e. the perceived value of assets and not the actual value. Browns done a good job of pulling a smoke screen over our eyes, but i reckon there will be another winter of discontent.

I like Warren Buffet's analysis of price sustainability, in a word: "value."

Seems that Blair's illusions and Brown's "miracles" are based on perception rather than value. At Least Mervyn saw it coming as the reference below suggests.

HOLA447

I think that this is the start of things going badly wrong in the south east. I work as a careers advisor for a -living and have seen a very big down- turn in the number of jobs advertised in the Argus (brighton area paper). We were putting it down to being the time of year but traditionally, january is when a lot of places start recruiting again & this year has been different.

Combine that with more houses to rent & buy in the local property mag (have been in brighton 6 years & have not seen so many places to rent before) and its looking a bit grim. For the last few years, brighton has been one of those places where rental properties went within hours- there are hundreds of places on he market, all with soaring rents and no-body earning enough to pay 900 a month for a 2 bed flat! There are also properties to buy that have been hanging about for months- one flat that I have been keeping an eye on has had 20k knocked off the asking price in 4 months.

Possibly the wierdest thing I have seen for a while was a sign outside a flat on my street saying "let agreed" - when did this start happening?! I thought it was just sale agreed when a place was bought not let!!

I saw someone looking for a career change a few weeks ago who was unemployed, partner earnt 18k and they had a mortgage of 1000 a month- he was in tears and desperate- I think think that there have been many people who have bought a "lifestyle" in brighton that are now going to be in dire straights!

The chickens are very much coming home to roost down here!

HOLA448
HOLA449

So far as I can remember, Lewes and Brighton salaries v poor for SE - I know Lewes well and a large proportion of the housing there is council - recently coouncil - Landport, Malling, etc., and then there's the flooding problem... the centre / Southover is pretty and the location is v scenic. The only people I knew there with money had either inherited or worked up in London.

HOLA4410