House Price Crash Forum

Diesel Cars Could Be Banished As Britain Ordered To Cut Air Pollution

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

Right... Live in somewhere where you can still burn them and you've got worse air pollution than living in a traffic-heavy city?

Surprisingly, yes, if you have the wrong neighbour. And they seem to be becoming more common in big cities, too.

I look forward to the time when there aren't such stupid numbers of people around that this is even an issue so we can just get on with our lives without having all this interference, but alas no chance of that (and no ethical way of getting there in less than several centuries).

In overcrowded Blighty, yes. There are still sparsely-populated places, if you can deal with the conditions that make them harsh for human life, and the red tape of being allowed in.

HOLA442

Surprisingly, yes, if you have the wrong neighbour. And they seem to be becoming more common in big cities, too.

All I can say is that it's never seemed like a problem at all in my parents' village. If they're becoming more common in cities then I'm guessing that people are ignoring the smokeless zone rules.

In overcrowded Blighty, yes. There are still sparsely-populated places, if you can deal with the conditions that make them harsh for human life, and the red tape of being allowed in.

Harsh? Well, if you're talking about trying to set up in the middle of nowhere. There's a happy medium somewhere. Generally speaking though just think about how many issues would be complete and utter non-issues without the population growth of the last couple of centuries (and not just in the UK). And it's not as if we wouldn't have had technological advancement. Such a tragic missed opportunity for the human race.

HOLA443

Right... Live in somewhere where you can still burn them and you've got worse air pollution than living in a traffic-heavy city? I'd rather have the air in a decent village than a city centre.

I look forward to the time when there aren't such stupid numbers of people around that this is even an issue so we can just get on with our lives without having all this interference, but alas no chance of that (and no ethical way of getting there in less than several centuries).

My neighbour installed a wood burning stove. It was OK until he decided to try to keep it in every night by "banking" it. The wood just smoulders and the pollution is awful, like being downwind of a smouldering bonfire. It never affected him, as the smoke didn't drop to ground level until it was away from his house.

Archived