House Price Crash Forum

Gold Tracking Funds-advice?

BARRY SCOTT

HOLA441

I'm thinking of joining this gold bandwagon ( well i missed out on the property one!)

I'm a novice so appologies if I appear a bit thick.

I recently closed my FT100 Tracking Maxi ISA after all the talk on these forums of a possible stock market crash. This has not materialised, yet. However, I'm considering putting some back into a gold tracking isa fund.

Questions are:

Is this the best way into gold for a novice?

What gold tracking funds are recommended that I can put into an ISA

hELP appreciated

HOLA442

I'm thinking of joining this gold bandwagon ( well i missed out on the property one!)

I'm a novice so appologies if I appear a bit thick.

I recently closed my FT100 Tracking Maxi ISA after all the talk on these forums of a possible stock market crash. This has not materialised, yet. However, I'm considering putting some back into a gold tracking isa fund.

Questions are:

Is this the best way into gold for a novice?

What gold tracking funds are recommended that I can put into an ISA

hELP appreciated

The easiest thing is to just go any buy some Gold bullion coins if you are just getting into this market.

You can buy & sell very easily at coin dealers in the UK and its quite a nice feeling to have physical Gold in your possesion.

Good luck!

HOLA443
HOLA444

How much do you have to invest? What is your time frame?

Thanks for your Reply.

I don't have a huge ammount to invest, I think I may have an initial small try at 1-2K . This is some of my house deposit savings, which while I don't want to risk too much, I'm open to a little risk with the prospect of decent returns. If gold really is going places I may be tempted to tripple that investment.

As I say, this is the house deposit, so I would like to think that I may enter the housing market within the next two years subject to our crash happening. So I guess 1 to 2 years is my time frame to keep my money in savings and investments.

Thanks.

Edited by BARRY SCOTT

HOLA445
HOLA446

....could you offer any advice for a very good friend of mine who wants to put her life savings, about £200k, into either Goldmoney, Goldcorp or Merryill Lynch Gold & General Fund for Jan, Feb and March of the new year.

Personally I would think of putting only about 10% in gold and gold related. Merrill Lynch Gold and General can be opened as an ISA up to £7K per year - it has high charges though. Then it's down to personal judgement. I like Gold Bullion Securities - very low charges. Other like Goldmoney or bullion coins. There are pluses and miniuses to each. This is a useful site:

http://www.galmarley.com/

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Thanks for all the comments.

The Merill Lynch Gold and general fund looks interesting.

I am thinking of buying the unit trust in a stocks and shares ISA through Merrill Lynch.

hOWEVER, Its not very responsive, i.e I have to write to them to get out.

That doesn't sound ideal.

Can I buy this on-line and trade as if I had shares trading instantly??

Thanks

HOLA4411

So why is the price still rising if everyone knows a pullback is imminent? Or was your post laced with just the faintest hint of sarcasm. <_<

I was being a little sarcastic you're right. It seems that with gold, everyone is thrusting out his chest and confidently predicting a "pullback". I always understood that what was common knowledge in investing was no knowledge at all.

HOLA4412

hi

i'm a total newbie to this site,so hello everyone ;)

i too am about to jump on the gold band wagon,but could do with some guidance as i don't have a clue.

i was thinking of 20k split between gold and silver and leave it for a few years,but like i say i've never invested before and don't know where too start!

can anyone recommend me a broker?

i've been reading about these maxi isas, would it be best for me too open one and put 7k in for now(split between gold and silver)then another 7k in april?

thanks in advance