House Price Crash Forum

Newbury, Berkshire

Dima01

HOLA441

Hi, I'm thinking of moving to Newbury (Berks) in Feb 2006 and visited the forum hoping to find some valuable info regarding renting/buying there. I couldn't find anything, so I'm setting this new thread. Please let me know which, in your opinion, are the areas/streets to avoid?

Also, I came across two new developments there: College Mews (near the big Tesco; and a tip, I hear!) and also The Chase. Any thoughts on those two welcome!

Many thanks.

HOLA442

well, I work with someone who lives in Newbury (I live in one of the nearby villages), and according to him, there were 5 hot burglaries last night (he only found out about this when he woke up this morning and found his front room done over, his wife's car nicked, and his car keys nicked), there are a lot of nicer villages in the area - you might want to have a look at those instead!

HOLA443

well, I work with someone who lives in Newbury (I live in one of the nearby villages), and according to him, there were 5 hot burglaries last night (he only found out about this when he woke up this morning and found his front room done over, his wife's car nicked, and his car keys nicked), there are a lot of nicer villages in the area - you might want to have a look at those instead!

Thanks, squirrel!

Interesting all that. The crime figures I have are 'normal' (even better than English average)...

HOLA444

I live in Newbury ;-)

The area near Tesco's has seen some rapid development over the last few years..

I guess certain things will adjust what/where you want to live but I guess from your commenting on 2 new estates then new estates is what you want.

If you go past Tesco's (and tip) on the left is two new estates which are nice -if you like that sort of thing. By Greenham Common

However if you read the gumf the EA's use then the best area as a total is Wash Common.This is about 1 mile from Tesco's -your stated reference point- but be careful I know several who try to stretch the area for the kudos factor.

Basically anywhere in this area is pretty much ok -with a few exceptions

http://www.upmystreet.com/map/l/rg146nu.ht...apSess=Lw%3D%3D

Cheers

Richard

Edited by r.bartlett

HOLA445

Whilst I'm no apologist for Newbury I would love to know which crime free utopia you live in as I will watch the NWN for the skinny..

Everywhere has crime and to write off the whole of Newbury because your mate got robbed is somewhat over-reacting.....

Basically Newbury is a very good town for bringing up a family. It has the usual but overall it's pretty much ok. I wouldn't want to be a 20something here but in my current situation it's as much as I want/need (as I never go to the cinema anyway...!!)

Cheers

Richard

Edited by r.bartlett

HOLA446

Basically anywhere in this area is pretty much ok -with a few exceptions

Cheers

Richard

Thanks, Richard. That's my general impression, too. I do like newly built houses (don't ask!), so I'm seriously looking into the houses in the Chase (off the racecourse). There is a certain per centage of 'afforable housing' there, though...

Thanks again for sharing your views,

d.