House Price Crash Forum

Research Finds Manufacturers Abandon Support For Sets That Are Only A Few Years Old - Great News For Tv Sales

HOLA441

My telly's 10. Which is close to 'ever' for anything manufactured since China entered the glow ball trade system. I know it's no longer supported by Sony 'cause it won't retune automatically any more and when I asked them about it they wanted to charge me £70 to send out someone who probably couldn't do anything about it anyway.

I'm not a technophile I'm afraid.

I didn't quite get to 8 years before the ******* failed so I have actually reset the clock with a new one. Now even a 2 TV household, the shame.

As to the OP. If it happens within 5 years, the thing goes back to JL and they get told to sort it.

Nowadays, its not necessarily a question. Of wanting the features, they're there whether you want them or not. The 8 year old TV probably never did more than 1% of its output at its claimed 'HD Ready' state. I can't play HD or 3D from my 11 year old DVD player for instance.

HOLA442

I'm aware of this hack - TP Link routers got hacked en mass. The way it was done was that there is a hidden URL in the firmware that allows you to download an image of the router's memory as a binary file (I assume for testing/debugging during development). Viewing that file in a hex editor reveals the admin password. That is ok (but not ideal) if you can only access the router internally within the network but by default the TP links allow admin web access over the Internet (and therefore to this hidden URL). This default is pure madness, but just goes to show how poorly tested these devices can be. I think at least 300K TP link routers were attacked at once by this hack. You should find out how to disable internet access to your router immediately (go to TP link support). There may be a firmware update by now that fixes it also.

Thanks, I've just found the TP-Link update: http://www.tp-link.com/EN/article/?faqid=569.

Another article: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2104380/attack-campaign-compromises-300000-home-routers-alters-dns-settings.html

Edit: Looks like they've only done the security update for V4 hardware of my router (TD-8840T). Mine is V2, and my backup one is also V2. ****!

Archived