House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Research Finds Manufacturers Abandon Support For Sets That Are Only A Few Years Old - Great News For Tv Sales

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2636468/The-not-smart-TVs-Research-finds-manufacturers-abandon-support-sets-years-old.html

• A Which? investigation found customers can lose services when manufacturers release new smart TVs
  • Manufacturers pay licenses to host apps such as BBC iPlayer or Netflix
  • This means they may not choose to cover app licences for older products
  • Smart TV apps need agreements between the manufacturer and developer
  • If they can't agree, or either party changes their technology or software, consumers are affected
  • A new consumer rights bill is being debated in parliament to stop this

A great way to get people to shell out for a new TV and boost the economy.

Yes, I have a 2011 Samsung 3DTV and suddenly the LoveFilm capability was withdrawn, not sure if it was by Samsung or LoveFilm, but anyway I just cancelled my LoveFilm subscription - them telling me I could watch the service on my Kindle got short shrift.

Screw Smart TVs.

XBMC all the way! http://openelec.tv

XBMC is great, apart from for things like 4od, which generally end up being an arms race between the media company and an unofficial XBMC plugin that sort of works some of the time. I'm hoping the inclusion of DRM in HTML5 will open a means for a better XBMC solution for catchup TV.

There are so many tiny HDMI-connected streamers around (and continually being updated) that this isn't really a problem, is it?

Unless you don't like the idea of having ANOTHER remote control.....

More worrying is that they will stop producing security patches (many smart TVs auto-update over the internet). Lot's of internet connected devices are vulnerable. My internet router was hacked just a few weeks ago using a exploit to gain root access and change DNS settings (I only found out because google.com was trying to get me to download .exe files). I'm sure a smart TV could be used for bitcoin mining or launching DDOS attacks.

And this is why 'Smart TVs' are dumb.

But they're great for TV manufacturers who've run out of good reasons to convince people to buy a new one.

The only useful bit on my TV is the screen. All these internet apps are rather crap!

Samsung have released the "One Connect" box - this allows you to upgrade the TV (mid-higher end) to the latest spec CPUs and smart features. They'll be around £250, so a lot cheaper than having to spend £1k plus on a new tele...

XBMC is great, apart from for things like 4od, which generally end up being an arms race between the media company and an unofficial XBMC plugin that sort of works some of the time. I'm hoping the inclusion of DRM in HTML5 will open a means for a better XBMC solution for catchup TV.

Gotham is now in beta and pretty stable. It has additional support for html 5 so should address some of the issues.

If you are interested and dependant on your attitude to risk and copyright google an addon called 'istream' released by a group called xunity.

Have been playing with it for a few Months now. Is the best thing to happen to the platform in a long time.

This must be the case for all sorts of electronics yet as soon as there might be some disruption to TV brainwashing of the masses it's an issue that needs debating in parliament.

Anyone else noticed that 'most popular' seems to disappear and re-appear on iplayer since they updated it. I wondered if online viewing was getting too focused purely around the most popular shows so they were experimenting. I suspect faced with a random selection of mindwash drivel selected by the BBC most would be viewers will just think 'f**k it I'II illegally download Game Of Thrones and risk any malware as it can't be more irritating than sitting through Question Time'.

There are so many tiny HDMI-connected streamers around (and continually being updated) that this isn't really a problem, is it?

Unless you don't like the idea of having ANOTHER remote control.....

Yep, you could just get a £10 Now TV box to use all the catch up stuff.

Yep, you could just get a £10 Now TV box to use all the catch up stuff.

We got one. It's so much easier than working out how to put the PS3 on.

And you can look at flickr photos on it too!

The only useful bit on my TV is the screen. All these internet apps are rather crap!

Quite so. If I want internet, I'll hook my laptop up to it. I don't even connect mine to an aerial. If I want to watch something it's almost always on catch up - and yes, the BBC's offerings look pretty poor nowadays compared to what else is out there.

Quite so. If I want internet, I'll hook my laptop up to it. I don't even connect mine to an aerial. If I want to watch something it's almost always on catch up - and yes, the BBC's offerings look pretty poor nowadays compared to what else is out there.

I think these TV companies are wasting their money, filling a perfectly good screen with "crap"! All I want is a good picture!

TVs are all (?) imported so it's probably a drag on growth (i.e. decrease in net trade).

Better strategy would be to keep your imported telly forever and spend the money saved in the domestic economy.

TVs are all (?) imported so it's probably a drag on growth (i.e. decrease in net trade).

Better strategy would be to keep your imported telly forever and spend the money saved in the domestic economy.

Radical,but wise!

Didn't you get the memo? You're not supposed to spend anything. Ever.

No - I meant apple do this with their devices.

I bought an itouch a few years ago. It was perfectly good but steadily they 'didn't support' that device with a lot of the apps so we've had to upgrade.

Google chromecast is brilliant btw. £30 dongle plugged into your TV and cast from your apple or android device.

The AppleTV and Chromecast are similar but different. The ATV does screen mirroring through Airplay (iPad 2 & above, iPhone 4S & above etc) but the iOS device needs to be on. With Chromecast, if you connect it via one of its apps (such as Netflix), you then connect your tablet to the CC, then you can turn the tablet off you want (or use it as remote) - if you're mirroring from Chrome, you can cast a tab, but you can't turn the tablet off..

I'd probably say that miracast is similar to ATV..

More worrying is that they will stop producing security patches (many smart TVs auto-update over the internet). Lot's of internet connected devices are vulnerable. My internet router was hacked just a few weeks ago using a exploit to gain root access and change DNS settings (I only found out because google.com was trying to get me to download .exe files). I'm sure a smart TV could be used for bitcoin mining or launching DDOS attacks.

My router (TP Link) got done as well. From what I can tell, I think logging into it with my browser, then closing the tab and carrying on using it was my downfall. The router was still logged in via the browser, and with the right exploit hidden in an img HTML tag they could change my DNS IPs.

On the subject of Smart TVs, I got my parents a Roku 3 (bit like the Now TV box but with an Ethernet port) and that is great. 80 quid but I'd say it's worth it. The only thing missing is an ITV catch-up service.

Didn't you get the memo? You're not supposed to spend anything. Ever.

My telly's 10. Which is close to 'ever' for anything manufactured since China entered the glow ball trade system. I know it's no longer supported by Sony 'cause it won't retune automatically any more and when I asked them about it they wanted to charge me £70 to send out someone who probably couldn't do anything about it anyway.

I'm not a technophile I'm afraid.

The AppleTV and Chromecast are similar but different. The ATV does screen mirroring through Airplay (iPad 2 & above, iPhone 4S & above etc) but the iOS device needs to be on. With Chromecast, if you connect it via one of its apps (such as Netflix), you then connect your tablet to the CC, then you can turn the tablet off you want (or use it as remote) - if you're mirroring from Chrome, you can cast a tab, but you can't turn the tablet off..

I'd probably say that miracast is similar to ATV..

and that's why.

I'll wait 'til you can buy one with an on/off switch.

What happens when the smart tv controls everything else in the house in the internet of things ?

For example, it could lock the fridge, or stop the front door opening, or freeze the phones so you can't order pizza.

In Terminator, the machines take over via a war and destroy us all with nuclear missles.

In reality they will probably just turn off the cooker and threaten to starve us to death, or bombard us with shite telly until we beg for mercy.

My router (TP Link) got done as well. From what I can tell, I think logging into it with my browser, then closing the tab and carrying on using it was my downfall. The router was still logged in via the browser, and with the right exploit hidden in an img HTML tag they could change my DNS IPs.

On the subject of Smart TVs, I got my parents a Roku 3 (bit like the Now TV box but with an Ethernet port) and that is great. 80 quid but I'd say it's worth it. The only thing missing is an ITV catch-up service.

I'm aware of this hack - TP Link routers got hacked en mass. The way it was done was that there is a hidden URL in the firmware that allows you to download an image of the router's memory as a binary file (I assume for testing/debugging during development). Viewing that file in a hex editor reveals the admin password. That is ok (but not ideal) if you can only access the router internally within the network but by default the TP links allow admin web access over the Internet (and therefore to this hidden URL). This default is pure madness, but just goes to show how poorly tested these devices can be. I think at least 300K TP link routers were attacked at once by this hack. You should find out how to disable internet access to your router immediately (go to TP link support). There may be a firmware update by now that fixes it also.