House Price Crash Forum

Swapping Car...

Bradbury Robinson

HOLA441

I've got a car at the moment and just bought another which needs an MOT and VED purchasing as well as the V5 changing over and insurance but it looks like it's going to be a PITA with regards to timing:

V5 - In post to DVLA today, can take up to 3 weeks to arrive.

MOT - Garage tomorrow, cost aside should be done quickly.

Insurance - Need to keep one car running but need new certificate to get VED

VED - I need to have above three in hand to get VED from post office, or on database to purchase online.

I can't see any way to speed the process up really, other than getting things rolling now. It's just a pain that you need all of the things in hand to get the VED but the individual bits all take time to arrive.

Has anybody been in a similar situation before and done it any quicker?

HOLA442

I've got a car at the moment and just bought another which needs an MOT and VED purchasing as well as the V5 changing over and insurance but it looks like it's going to be a PITA with regards to timing:

VED - I need to have above three in hand to get VED from post office, or on database to purchase online.

I can't see any way to speed the process up really, other than getting things rolling now. It's just a pain that you need all of the things in hand to get the VED but the individual bits all take time to arrive.

The post office will amost certainly accept a home print-out of your certificate of insurance, and any half decent insurer should be able to email you (or allow you to download) a PDF of the updated details once you phone them up and swap the cars over. The MOT cert you'll get when you MOT the car, and then you just need the new keeper's supplement to take to the post office- V5 not required.

HOLA443

Should have hung on to the V5. MOT tomorrow then insurance (get them to fax or email the certificate) then off to the PO for the tax disc. Post Office might get snotty about a copied insurance certificate they might not. Otherwise first class post and you lose a day.

Once you have it then post the V5. Post Office not interested in ownership per se so long as you have the correct docs. Anyway simply tell them you have just bought the motor.

MOT and Insurance details will be uploaded to the central database but unsure how long after the event this occurs. In any event you need a number off the V5 to purchase the VED this way anyway.

I recall some years ago I bought an old army motorbike which has not even been registered with DVLA (No Registration Mark). With a lot of running about I was able to get it all done in 2 days.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I've just spoken to the insurance to see what they can do and think this is the best, possibly only, line of attack:

Get MOT sorted and documents.

Call insurance and swap car over, they can then fax (!?) documents for a nice fee of £9.00

Head to Post Office with V5 filled out for swap, MOT and insurance to see if they'll issue VED

If not, post V5 to DVLA, get back onto insurance and add old car as temporary vehicle for two/three weeks until V5 is received.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

When I bought my last car, the dealer told me to follow him to the post office. There was no MOT, no VED, and the only proof of insurance I had was a text message from the insurer confirming the new car's details.

The dealer had a quick word with the post clerk, I handed over the cash, and the VED disc was handed back in return. No V5, no insurance cert, no MOT.

I'm not sure that was how it was supposed to work. However, I was able to arrange an MOT on the way back home, and it was all sorted by the time I got home.

HOLA449

When I bought my last car, the dealer told me to follow him to the post office. There was no MOT, no VED, and the only proof of insurance I had was a text message from the insurer confirming the new car's details.

The dealer had a quick word with the post clerk, I handed over the cash, and the VED disc was handed back in return. No V5, no insurance cert, no MOT.

I'm not sure that was how it was supposed to work. However, I was able to arrange an MOT on the way back home, and it was all sorted by the time I got home.

Last year the dealer I bought my Mondeo from sent me to a post office a couple of miles down the road and told me that they had a copy of their dealer's insurance certificate behind the counter. Sure enough when I turned up and waved the receipt and MOT certificate at them they were happy enough to oblige!

HOLA4410

Until it's registered properly in your own name, you can drive whilst drunk, with no knowledge of an MOT! Or maybe not! :blink:

The other side of that coin is that until a car you're getting rid of is registered in the new owner's name, you are potentially liable for any speeding tickets etc. that (s)he acquires.

When I sold my first car in 1999, the dealer who accepted it in part-exchange for the one I bought asked me not to send in my bit of the V-5, but to give it to him along with the rest of it, offering to 'post it once all the admin is done'. About a month later I received a speed camera ticket incurred by the car's new owner. Thankfully I was able to challenge it successfully by producing the receipt for the purchase of my new car, which stated that they'd accepted my old one (including its registration number) in part-ex. But I had to get a replacement V5 for the old car, and then send the proforma back listing the dealer as the new owner, which was a lengthy and expensive faff.

Ever since then I have always sent my V5 proforma to Swansea myself and by recorded delivery when selling a car.

HOLA4411

Archived