House Price Crash Forum

Deeds Question

HOLA441

I purchased a copy of the property register from the Land Registry for a house I am interested in.

It had an entry in section A, after note about freehold there is anther note (I blanked address with x chars) :

------

(14.11.2012) The Freehold land shown edged with red on the plan of

the above title filed at the Registry and being xxxxxxxxxxx.

(14.11.2012) The land has the benefit of the rights granted by but

is subject to the rights reserved by a Conveyance of the land in

this title dated 19 January 1960 made between (1) The Honourable

Rupert Charles Montacute Nevill and James Purdon Lewis Viscount

Cilcennin and (2) William Llewellyn Rees.

NOTE: Copy filed.

------

I guess I should call the LR and see if they have further information on this as they do say copy filed next to the entry. Just wondered if anyone had seen anything like this before? I can't imagine something from 1960 would have much bearing now. BTW, the proprietorship register says title absolute.

I would be interested if anyone has an opinion on this.

HOLA442
HOLA443

It means that the property was originally leasehold, and the original land sale had particular covenants/restrictions/'benefits'.

Then the freehold was purchased, but the original covenants remained (which I think is fairly standard). So whilst the leasehold was scrapped (freehold and leasehold got merged by same owner), a copy setting out the covenants was filed since part of it is still relevant.

Also are you sure the convenants aren't mentioned? With our freehold title, the covenants are set out in number 2 of Part C (Charges Register).

• 2 months later...
HOLA444

It means that the property was originally leasehold, and the original land sale had particular covenants/restrictions/'benefits'.

Then the freehold was purchased, but the original covenants remained (which I think is fairly standard). So whilst the leasehold was scrapped (freehold and leasehold got merged by same owner), a copy setting out the covenants was filed since part of it is still relevant.

Also are you sure the convenants aren't mentioned? With our freehold title, the covenants are set out in number 2 of Part C (Charges Register).

Oh dear, just seen this. What rubbish. For the record;

It simply means that when the property was sold as a plot out of a larger freehold estate, it was sold with rights over neighbouring lands and reserved rights for the neighbouring land.

Quite a normal entry found on millions of properties and nothing to do with leasehold whatsoever.

EDIT:Rights are easements which are totally different to covenants.

Edited by Driver