House Price Crash Forum

Squandering Tax Pounds (Again)

Byron

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Surely they are trying to promote Cardiff as a tourist destination? :blink::lol:

Yes, but that is an awful lot of money for a small country to spend in just one corner.

Particularly when a lot of Welsh people do not really consider Cardiff to be a Welsh city, more part of the Cardiff, Bristol, Birmingham triangle.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Yes, but that is an awful lot of money for a small country to spend in just one corner.

Particularly when a lot of Welsh people do not really consider Cardiff to be a Welsh city, more part of the Cardiff, Bristol, Birmingham triangle.

Birmingham? That's a big triangle.

HOLA446

Birmingham? That's a big triangle.

It is just that Cardiff does not actually relate much to Wales.

Road and rail connections are very poor.

It is far quicker to get to Birmingham than Aberystwyth from Cardiff.

Indeed, I have known Cardiff people who commuted daily to Birmingham.

HOLA447

It is just that Cardiff does not actually relate much to Wales.

Road and rail connections are very poor.

It is far quicker to get to Birmingham than Aberystwyth from Cardiff.

Indeed, I have known Cardiff people who commuted daily to Birmingham.

I suppose it depends how you define Wales.

Two-thirds of the population live in South Wales, mainly in and around Cardiff, Swansea and Newport. If you want to define Welshness by travel time from Aberystwyth that's up to you. By that logic, is there a Wrexham, liverpool and Manchester triangle, or are the people in the North of Wales indipendantly Welsh despite of their easy access to liverpool compared to Aber?

HOLA448

Didn't the WAG also pay the English FA for the right to host all those cup finals in 2001 to 2006? The irony was it seems that most football fans preferred Cardiff to Wembley and it should have been the FA paying to go to Cardiff.

They also paid Ian Woosnam to publicise the Ryder Cup.

I think the plan with the footie was that all the English fans would make a weekend of it in Wales and spend lots of money at hotels and restaurants - being a sophisticated and cultured lot. Don't know what the overall balance was - the one final I went to involved just one meal in pizza hut for 7 of us and then a drive home.

Still, I'm sure that the £3M for this boat race will be welcomed by TMT, Caius etc - just £1 per head for the whole population which I'm sure they'd have obtained by carrying a bucket around every town in Wales for a whip round.

Y

HOLA449

I suppose it depends how you define Wales.

Two-thirds of the population live in South Wales, mainly in and around Cardiff, Swansea and Newport. If you want to define Welshness by travel time from Aberystwyth that's up to you. By that logic, is there a Wrexham, liverpool and Manchester triangle, or are the people in the North of Wales indipendantly Welsh despite of their easy access to liverpool compared to Aber?

similar to what i was thinking.

I'm expecting Byron to annex the M4 corridor in the south and A55 corridor in the North to England leaving him and a few sheep in the Principality.

(It is the A55 in the north isn't it? Been a while)

HOLA4410

similar to what i was thinking.

I'm expecting Byron to annex the M4 corridor in the south and A55 corridor in the North to England leaving him and a few sheep in the Principality.

(It is the A55 in the north isn't it? Been a while)

Just shows how little you know of Wales.

I was born in Cardiff and lived all my life in Swansea.

Yes, the North is different to the South, I have just returned from Bangor.

I am just saying that to give £3 million to a bunch of Hooray Henrys is a bit too much.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

What does? The fact he doesn't where you were born, or your inside leg measurement?

Are the only real Welsh people you and your mum?

Bonkers

So,

We can take it that you wholeheartedly agree with giving £3 million to the Volvo racers?

Remember, much of this money will come from England.

HOLA4416

So,

We can take it that you wholeheartedly agree with giving £3 million to the Volvo racers?

Remember, much of this money will come from England.

As a general rule of thumb, whatever the assembly are planning, I think the opposite. There are a few exceptions to that, but not many. If they're giving money for an event like this, it's probably just so they can get a couple of grand worth of hospitality each. Useless self serving ******* the lot of them.

HOLA4417

As a general rule of thumb, whatever the assembly are planning, I think the opposite. There are a few exceptions to that, but not many. If they're giving money for an event like this, it's probably just so they can get a couple of grand worth of hospitality each. Useless self serving ******* the lot of them.

+1

Archived