House Price Crash Forum

Road Safety Crossings

SarahBell

HOLA441

This is not the safest place. The safest place is up the road where there is a pedestrian crossing in place.

Have I missed something here...:blink:

Yes! It's like saying you fly to llandudno on Ryan air but they drop you at rhyll cos it's in wales.

It isn't close enough!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Yes! It's like saying you fly to llandudno on Ryan air but they drop you at rhyll cos it's in wales.

It isn't close enough!

Well that is not quite true is it ? I am sure those who live nearer it think it is perfectly located.

I have just had another look at the map. And unless I have missed something - to the left along the road is a crossing about 350m away. To the right there is another crossing only about 250m away.

So in a 600m stretch of road - near a school - there are 2 pedestrian crossings - and you are complaining about this ?!

HOLA443

Well that is not quite true is it ? I am sure those who live nearer it think it is perfectly located.

I have just had another look at the map. And unless I have missed something - to the left along the road is a crossing about 350m away. To the right there is another crossing only about 250m away.

So in a 600m stretch of road - near a school - there are 2 pedestrian crossings - and you are complaining about this ?!

They're a long way away! It's more than that.

The place people come from is north field road and they expect to cross there.

The fact you think they'll walk away from that and go an extra 800m shows you don't live in the real world.

You can't see the other crossings. This means for most people they don't exist.

Do you know about pleasure paths?

HOLA444

They're a long way away! It's more than that.

The place people come from is north field road and they expect to cross there.

The fact you think they'll walk away from that and go an extra 800m shows you don't live in the real world.

You can't see the other crossings. This means for most people they don't exist.

Do you know about pleasure paths?

:blink:

Are you having a laugh ? Honestly ?

These people will cross at a clearly dangerous spot - because they don't want to walk round the corner to use a pedestrian crossing ? Well if they get run over - and this may sound harsh - I couldn't really give much of a toss.

Natural selection would seem to be working perfectly in this instance.

HOLA445

:blink:

Are you having a laugh ? Honestly ?

These people will cross at a clearly dangerous spot - because they don't want to walk round the corner to use a pedestrian crossing ? Well if they get run over - and this may sound harsh - I couldn't really give much of a toss.

Natural selection would seem to be working perfectly in this instance.

On the visible stretch of road it is the safest spot. It needs the crossing man to get across though - and this is where the council put him.

They don't put him down the road at the cross roads because it might be safer there.

People are not going to walk down to the crossings. They are out of sight.

HOLA446

On the visible stretch of road it is the safest spot. It needs the crossing man to get across though - and this is where the council put him.

They don't put him down the road at the cross roads because it might be safer there.

People are not going to walk down to the crossings. They are out of sight.

So the lollipop man is stationed at this point in the road ? And people still get run over ?

HOLA447

So the lollipop man is stationed at this point in the road ? And people still get run over ?

He wasn't there the other day (off sick and replacement says its too dangerous and won't cover it) when a kid got hit.

The lollypop man gets mown down regularly as did the previous one.

The bollard in the middle gets mashed too.

Including when someone I know was stood on the crossing recently with the lollypop man.

The crossing down the road regular has it's metal barriers all mashed up too though.

HOLA448

He wasn't there the other day (off sick and replacement says its too dangerous and won't cover it) when a kid got hit.

The lollypop man gets mown down regularly as did the previous one.

The bollard in the middle gets mashed too.

Including when someone I know was stood on the crossing recently with the lollypop man.

The crossing down the road regular has it's metal barriers all mashed up too though.

Sounds like generally a very dangerous road due to fanny drivers. Many of them around. Perhaps a bridge or an underpass are the only ways to sort it out ?

If lollipop men and proper crossings don't work already - then I don't see the point of putting another one in ?

With local budgets and all you will be doing well though.

HOLA449

With local budgets and all you will be doing well though.

Maybe it needs the speed lowering.

Spoke to someone about getting a speed gun on the road and it can't be done as it's a 40mph road for some reason!

HOLA4410

Spoke to someone about getting a speed gun on the road and it can't be done as it's a 40mph road for some reason!

Well you could, if you wanted, agree to do shifts for the school run. Just put on high visibility yellow jackets and stand around the corner. The vast majority of people will slow down instantly when they see this.

Bit of a hassle though.

HOLA4411

I thought you said that the problem was people racing around at well over 40mph, so why does the limit need lowering to deal with people who are already going over the current limit? I think you're demonstrating the attitude that has seen all too many unreasonable speed limit reductions (such as the plague that's hit just about every A road in Derbyshire).

HOLA4412

I thought you said that the problem was people racing around at well over 40mph, so why does the limit need lowering to deal with people who are already going over the current limit? I think you're demonstrating the attitude that has seen all too many unreasonable speed limit reductions (such as the plague that's hit just about every A road in Derbyshire).

I don't know how to get the police to enforce the speed limit?

It's a 40 and so they don't use a gun on it.

I might drag some of the affected parents up to the next police meeting and see what they say there.

EDIT: The only meeting I can find info on is homewatch and I know they will just wave it away saying they don't have traffic officers in their section...

Archived