House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Road Safety Crossings

Anyone know about rules/regs for getting a crossing put on to stop people getting run over?

It's on a 40mph dual carriageway road near me - used by people going to school (nursery, primary and reception)

Kid got hit the other day when crossing man not on (off and no cover) - many near misses as cars come speeding round corners of road and just don't seem to care that there's a man with a giant lollypop in the road in a yellow jacket (or dozens of kids crossing)

All suggestions on how to get the crossing made safe welcome.

There's not room in the middle for more than one person deep - so no chance of barriers in the middle. Central bollard is constantly knocked over by cars hitting it...

Speak to the roads dept at your local council. They will tell you whether or not it would fit with their regs and whether there is a possibility of one being put in. Then hassle the local councillors for the area and those on the appropriate committee to push things along.

Get kids to look to see if there's anything coming before setting foot in the road.

Quaint, old fashioned idea. Parents teach kids to be responsible for themselves.

Quaint, old fashioned idea. Parents teach kids to be responsible for themselves.

And thinking about it - one child dying to give the rest of them a simple harsh lesson they will never forget - is probably quite logical and makes sense.

Not that we want children dying all over the place of course. But being exposed to danger and seeing/hearing the results is how you learn things. Is it not ? Some people get unlucky and come a cropper. But isn't that is what is supposed to happen ?

PS - I appreciate this argument means nothing to those related to the unlucky ones. Just talking theoretically.

Anyone know about rules/regs for getting a crossing put on to stop people getting run over?

It's on a 40mph dual carriageway road near me - used by people going to school (nursery, primary and reception)

Kid got hit the other day when crossing man not on (off and no cover) - many near misses as cars come speeding round corners of road and just don't seem to care that there's a man with a giant lollypop in the road in a yellow jacket (or dozens of kids crossing)

There's not room in the middle for more than one person deep - so no chance of barriers in the middle. Central bollard is constantly knocked over by cars hitting it...

Without knowing which road /crossing it is we don't have enough info to advise if it is a good idea (only you know that). From the little you have stated, it is an urban dual carriageway and if it is a 40 limit it is probably a fairly important one. It already has a crossing which is located on a blind corner (sounds silly - Edit to add: crossing man = crossing or lollypop man?).

If you are seriously concerned (it sounds that you are), perhaps speak to the local police or council and see what they say.. they may have had similar complaints.

If it is a main road then perhaps putting pedestrian barriers up except at the crossing might help without restricting traffic flow.. or even (but more expensively) a pedestrian bridge or underpass could be suggested?

Could you link to the junction in question?

Get kids to look to see if there's anything coming before setting foot in the road.

The road has two bends and cars regularly travel along at 60+

During rush hour it's constant fast traffic. There are no gaps in the traffic.

It's had a couple of deaths along it from twats being unable to cope with driving so fast round a bend.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=m40&aq=&sll=53.522356,-2.1595&sspn=0.004038,0.009645&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Manchester+M40,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.522069,-2.15965&spn=0.008075,0.01929&t=h&z=16

a6104

The schools are on Butterworth lane and the cross is from Northfield Road.

Google streetview

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=m40&aq=&sll=53.522356,-2.1595&sspn=0.004038,0.009645&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Manchester+M40,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.520844,-2.15759&spn=0.008075,0.01929&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.521943,-2.159911&panoid=eaZ8y9RZ2CzhPfcy-exfIg&cbp=12,255.56,,0,-1.17

You can see where the bollard and lamp post have been replaced after an incident on that too.

A friend was on the middle of the road with her kids when a car hit the bollard thing.

Both this and the previous lollypop person have been injured. The relief man won't do it anymore as it's too dangerous.

Without knowing which road /crossing it is we don't have enough info to advise if it is a good idea (only you know that). From the little you have stated, it is an urban dual carriageway and if it is a 40 limit it is probably a fairly important one. It already has a crossing which is located on a blind corner (sounds silly - Edit to add: crossing man = crossing or lollypop man?).

If you are seriously concerned (it sounds that you are), perhaps speak to the local police or council and see what they say.. they may have had similar complaints.

If it is a main road then perhaps putting pedestrian barriers up except at the crossing might help without restricting traffic flow.. or even (but more expensively) a pedestrian bridge or underpass could be suggested?

Could you link to the junction in question?

Have linked.

I don't go that way anymore - but my friend does and she contacted me yesterday after the most recent accident.

The road carries on eventually and turns into Victoria Avenue - with no schools that need crossing, no houses etc and that's a 30 zone!

How about putting railings on the side of roads to stop people going across them?

How about putting railings on the side of roads to stop people going across them?

So they can cross where?

There are traffic lights at either end of the road ... but it's a very long way out of people's way.

Guest eight

Both this and the previous lollypop person have been injured. The relief man won't do it anymore as it's too dangerous.

That sounds like the kind of situation that the tabloids might be interested in.

eight

That sounds like the kind of situation that the tabloids might be interested in.

eight

Well I've given my friend a suggested email she send to the local press, councillors, etc

Given her the MPs phone number

Given her a petition to get signatures on.

Suggested she gets some video evidence of just how scary it is.

Well I've given my friend a suggested email she send to the local press, councillors, etc

Given her the MPs phone number

Given her a petition to get signatures on.

Suggested she gets some video evidence of just how scary it is.

Speak to the heads of the local schools. They will definitely lend you support. Ask if you can petition the parents dropping off and picking up for one day only..

Get someone to make a cardboard speed camera. Sounds silly but shows how serious you are.

With the video evidence make it interesting and interview local people, anyone who has had an accident, the relief lollypop person. Get some young kids to say how scared they are when crossing that nasty road.

I would imagine plenty of succesful internet campaigns that you can research....

G`luck

You could catapult chidren across the road, and catch them on a big trampoline! :huh:

Looks like there is enough space to put a foot bridge in. But no doubt the same locals whose kids are being put at risk will object due to it devaluing their beloved house.

A traffic light controlled crossing is probably the solution looking at the road, but will have a very negative affect on traffic flows.

Have linked.

I don't go that way anymore - but my friend does and she contacted me yesterday after the most recent accident.

The road carries on eventually and turns into Victoria Avenue - with no schools that need crossing, no houses etc and that's a 30 zone!

Looks like a really hard one that the planners probably wish they didn't have to think about..

On one hand, you've got what looks like a main arterial road bleeding off the M60 and feeding North/East Manchester via Broadway.

On the other hand you've got a local school with kids needing to get from one side to the other.

:huh:

I agree with Dan, lights would be easiest.. but it doesn't look like the kind of road you want to jam up at rush hour. It doesn't look like it feeds a big enough area to really warrant the spend involved for an underpass or a bridge.. plus there are crossings further up the road at the lights.

The best I could recommend is that you petition your school / council for a new crossing which would work in sympathy with the other lights.. or alternatively request that they lay a cycle lane down the pavement so the kids can cycle up to the existing crossing and over to the school.

Failing that, and I hate to say it, you should probably drive them if it's really dangerous :ph34r:

Looks like there is enough space to put a foot bridge in. But no doubt the same locals whose kids are being put at risk will object due to it devaluing their beloved house.

A traffic light controlled crossing is probably the solution looking at the road, but will have a very negative affect on traffic flows.

Yes. Request a bridge is built.

It would be a lot safer than a crossing, AND allow traffic to flow freely.

Joined up thinking.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=m40&aq=&sll=53.522356,-2.1595&sspn=0.004038,0.009645&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Manchester+M40,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.522069,-2.15965&spn=0.008075,0.01929&t=h&z=16

a6104

The schools are on Butterworth lane and the cross is from Northfield Road.

Google streetview

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=m40&aq=&sll=53.522356,-2.1595&sspn=0.004038,0.009645&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Manchester+M40,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.520844,-2.15759&spn=0.008075,0.01929&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.521943,-2.159911&panoid=eaZ8y9RZ2CzhPfcy-exfIg&cbp=12,255.56,,0,-1.17

You can see where the bollard and lamp post have been replaced after an incident on that too.

A friend was on the middle of the road with her kids when a car hit the bollard thing.

sorry but that doesnt look like a difficult place to cross at all. Maybe some metal railings can be added in the center island but too much messing with the road could cause more problems if it slows traffic too much and causes a build up.

There is a junction that I pass everyday on the way to work that is a bit of a badly layed out cross junction. There have been a number of accidents there so the council decided to add an island, a bollard and lots of white paint and now I see more accidents. Just yeterday there were 3 vehicles involved and the motorcyclist didnt look like he was doing very well at all.

So they can cross where?

There are traffic lights at either end of the road ... but it's a very long way out of people's way.

350m ? :lol:

Yes - fair enough - it would be nice if it was closer but hardly the end of the World. Tell the parents and kids to stop whining and walk that extra 700m per day. It will do them good, they will be slightly less fat than they are today - and they don't have to worry about getting run over by a car travelling at 60 mph.

Oh - and if they whine about being late for school - tell them to leave 4 minutes earlier. Not exactly life changing behaviour.

Please let me know the flaw in my plan.

PS - It was a rhetorical question. There is no flaw. ;)

350m ? :lol:

Yes - fair enough - it would be nice if it was closer but hardly the end of the World. Tell the parents and kids to stop whining and walk that extra 700m per day. It will do them good, they will be slightly less fat than they are today

Or cycle..

A pipe should be fitted under the road, and the children could be propelled by compressed air! :huh:

Or cycle..

*rolls eyes*

You then have to cross that road on the road.

The cars coming from Northfield road really struggle to get out in rush hour. To be honest, if the crossing man isn't there then the traffic backs right up along Norhtfield because there isn't enough gap in the traffic to get out.

(Partly caused by the cars going through on red at the traffic light junction down the road - it seems people think red means keep going)

Walking further isn't going to happen.

You can't put railings up all along Hollinwood Av to stop people crossing because of the drive ways along there - so people would just cross a bit futher down.

It's got nothing to do with it being OK to walk further - it's because the people walking are ALREADY walking to school.

The point at which the lollypop man crosses people is the natural place for people to cross.

There might be room on the Northfield Road side for a bridge (although knowing the disabled ramp regs it isn't going to happen - because it'd block driveways) - but there isn't room on the other side.

I suspect traffic lights so people could go straight across would be best. They'd interupt the traffic flow as much as a crossing man does - but be available throughout the day too.