House Price Crash Forum

Economically Cleansed From Villages?

HOLA441

I thought I'd make an observation regarding the age make up of a village local to me where both my young children attend the C of E village school. I have noticed that although the school has a healthy number of pupils and on the surface you may conclude that life is as it always has been there is however quite a noticable anomally.

After school hours and on holiday periods the village is completely dead of life. I have never seen a family living there. No family cars in the streets, no noise, no playing kids, no one walking, no anything. All I've seen is the occasional old person pottering in their large gardens. The average age seems to be well over 65. It's almost as if the two groups, young and old, coexsist for a few hours per day and then part with no interaction having taken place. The actual school building may as well not be there. All the kids and teachers arrive by car and leave by car. I would imagine that the school used to service local village kids but over time the young have either left or been forced to leave due to the cost of housing. (cheapest I've seen is £250K for 2 bed bungalow) Maybe this is a glimpse into the future? A 21st century facsimile of village life.

HOLA442
HOLA443
Someone was saying on another forum about the 7 mile round trip they make to take kids to school...

Must be insulting for their neighbours to know the local school isn't good enough for them.

Yes that may be true, although are parents now permitted, as taxpayers, to exercise a choice? In my case however all the available schools are near enough equa-distant as makes no odds.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Well,

It may sound cynical, but in your situation, I would

be scouring the obituary columns.

It sounds an idyllic place to raise kids, school nearby, no need for

that second car you could walk the kids to school), and

a potential supply of cheap, spacious affordable property...

ABB

HOLA447