House Price Crash Forum

Tory Peer Flight Apologises For Benefits Remark

HOLA441

Maybe they just feel they don't want to be in position where their earnings are effectively taxed at around 100%. That is not difficult to achieve if you are on a low wage.. In other words, if children are high-enough priority then the best way to implement it for a sizeable proportion of the working poor is to lose the job. Then they get counted in the same statistic as the workshy.

£30k indeed counts as poor. Look at the outcry when when nasty party announced benefits will be capped at £25k or so per family. "How oh how will they live" the cries went. A family with a few children and one earner on £30k might as well go entirely on benefits nowadays once they figure out the effective tax rate.

You must be completely out of touch with the real world if you think someone on £30k can even contemplate educating more than one child privately.[/b] Even a couple both earning £30k would have to budget very carefully. I am not talking Eton or Winchester: they cost £30k+ a year, so £50k in pre-tax income. Even a family on £100k would struggle there.

I don't see you have a clue.

Fact: a child born into a UK family where the parents work means their standard of living suffers a substantial drop. Contrariwise, a child born into a family on benefits improves their standard of living.

After you, Sir.

It is you who have no clue, especially about the "working poor." What a condescending cu*t, typical of this site. If you live in the Norwich area, I'd happliy meet you and help straighten out your world view.

HOLA442

I've just been directed to this...Harry Hill with "I want a baby".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVB-dtpWsRw

Cant think of a better thread to put it on...apologies if its been posted before.

Listening to Jez Vine on Radio 2 this afternoon I was left with the feeling that national opinion is turning against the subjects of Flights attack...about time too!