House Price Crash Forum

Mcdonald’S Furious After San Francisco Bans Happy Meals

cashinmattress

HOLA441

Unhappy meal

Fast food giant McDonald's said Wednesday it was "extremely disappointed" at a ruling by San Francisco authorities banning high-calorie Happy Meals, which entice children to eat with free toys.

The response came after the Californian city's board of supervisors voted to forbid restaurants from giving gifts with meals that contain too much fat and sugar.

"We are extremely disappointed with this decision. It?s not what our customers want, nor is it something they asked for," said McDonald's spokeswoman Danya Proud.

Happy Meals, which typically come in a colorful cardboard box packed with a burger, a drink, fries and desert, are popular with hard-pressed parents as well as children, she said.

"Public opinion continues to be overwhelmingly against this misguided legislation. Parents tell us it's their right and responsibility, not the government's, to ... to choose what?s right for their children."

And she added: "We are extremely proud of our Happy Meals which give our youngest guests wholesome food and toys of the highest quality. Getting a toy with a kid's meal is just one part of a fun, family experience at McDonald's."

Under the ban agreed in a preliminary vote Tuesday, restaurants in San Francisco would have to provide fruit and vegetables with meals accompanied by free toys, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

"This is a tremendous victory for our children's health," said the state education board's Eric Mar, chief sponsor of the legislation.

The measure will go to a full vote next week and if approved would not come into force before December 2011.

Scott Rodrick, who owns 10 McDonald's franchises in the city, was quoted by the paper as saying: "Somehow the San Francisco Board of Supervisors just took the happy out of Happy Meals."

"It would be an understatement to say how disappointed I am with this legislation," he added.

I guess McSatan will have to come up with another marketing ploy to entice the children, at least in San Fran.

Hopefully this starts a trend, because all modern fast food isn't. It's just salt, sugar, and fat.

HOLA442

Unhappy meal

I guess McSatan will have to come up with another marketing ploy to entice the children, at least in San Fran.

Hopefully this starts a trend, because all modern fast food isn't. It's just salt, sugar, and fat.

yes,but a bit draconian isn't it?

when are they going to ban gentically molested food?,or is there too much money in that for monsanto?

People respond far better being given an informed CHOICE rather than dictation.

I reckon they ought to display the typical calorie intake on the menu board...then people will still have the choice,if they choose to feed their kids copius quantities of crap,then they will be fully aware of the consequences.

the do something t this effect in weatherspoons(to give them some credit),and where I might have previously been tempted by a burger with all the trimmings,I have ended up opting for a pasta dish instead(and they are reasonably tasty)

HOLA443

Unhappy meal

This calls for a song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IudPPlBmJs4

So, how long before bakeries get banned? All those cakes in the window, sugar, fat and salt! Oh, and candyshops must be made illegal too, and steak houses should be closed.

Heil Fresspolizei!

Archived