House Price Crash Forum

Home Energy Survey Or No Selly

Fudge

HOLA441

My brother has had his house up for sale for a few weeks. Only low offers put in 20% of asking.

The EA got the hump because he didnt accept low offer.

Now the estate agent says they will take the house off the market unless he has an energy survey done.

Says its the law.

Is that right?

HOLA442

No doubt they can provide the survey (for a fee). Maybe they think it will be the only fee they extricate from the listing.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/aug/12/energy-efficiency-ratings-home-sales

EU legislation will make it compulsory for energy efficiency ratings to be published in all UK homes for sale advertisements from 2012.

At the moment homeowners are required to commission an energy performance certificate (EPC) before putting a property on the market, but the results may not be available when potential purchasers first view it. From 2012 the EU Directive will make it compulsory for the ratings to be published upfront giving buyers vital "green" information.

The legislation will effectively put a green, amber or red energy efficiency grading on every For Sale board in the UK. It will also help the government to deliver its ambitious plans of reducing household carbon emissions by 29% by 2020.

Edited by OnlyMe

HOLA443
HOLA444

My brother has had his house up for sale for a few weeks. Only low offers put in 20% of asking.

Now the estate agent says they will take the house off the market unless he has an energy survey done.

Says its the law.

Is that right?

Yep, still need an epc. Sounds like the EA's want to cut him loose for being unrealistic, hard to feel sympathy tbh.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

He should have put it on at the valuation figure for at least a week so the muppets can think they've got a steal when he lowers it to something sensible.

Yes my fault I advised him to put it on cheap for a quick sale and now buyers want to knock 20% off.

HOLA448

No doubt they can provide the survey (for a fee). Maybe they think it will be the only fee they extricate from the listing.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/aug/12/energy-efficiency-ratings-home-sales

EU legislation will make it compulsory for energy efficiency ratings to be published in all UK homes for sale advertisements from 2012.

At the moment homeowners are required to commission an energy performance certificate (EPC) before putting a property on the market, but the results may not be available when potential purchasers first view it. From 2012 the EU Directive will make it compulsory for the ratings to be published upfront giving buyers vital "green" information.

The legislation will effectively put a green, amber or red energy efficiency grading on every For Sale board in the UK. It will also help the government to deliver its ambitious plans of reducing household carbon emissions by 29% by 2020.

Well, the EU interefering again! It won't make anyone pull the house down will it! You can only insulate it. Why not just look yourself and make your own decision, run your own life, without some other remotely elected lawmakers stopping you doing what you want. Yes yes, I know green issues and all that. Off you go and buy a wind turbine or rather better a solar panel then. Maybe its' all to the good, but I would like to see it in a UK manifesto, debated here and agreed by a British Parliament. Not just enforced from afar.

HOLA449

Says its the law.

Is that right?

Not sure about the legalities of this situation.

But I am interested in the anecdotal about the -20% offers.

Which part of the country is this, if you don't mind me asking?

Noted BlooLoos comment about Colchester not far from me.

HOLA4410

Yep, still need an epc. Sounds like the EA's want to cut him loose for being unrealistic, hard to feel sympathy tbh.

[/quote

He put it on cheap in the first place.

Shouldnt be too hard on yourself, at least he is getting offers.

Of more interest is the fact that the estate agent wants to cut him loose. The estate agents that dont get trades will go bust, of that you can be sure, so there will be lots more like this EA, trying to force sellers expectations down.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

EPC's are bull$hit. there only as good as the guy doing the survey. i got a really good score with a high potential score, while some identical houses in my area got a crap potential. the potential score should be identical. i was told i didnt need an EPC until exchange of contracts, though back in 2008 i was told by one agent i needed a hips and EPC by January 2009, even though i had been marketing the property since 2006. so i told him to pi$$off.

1) does he NEED to sell?

2) can he get 20% off the next house?

if no to either of the above, take the house off the market, thats what weve done. if i were him id tell the current agent to bug*er off and put it on with a different one at the valuation, then take the 20% hit, if they can get 20% off the next house.

i check an area and mark how many houses are sold stc, making a note of there agent, i then go with the one who has sold the most in my price range.

HOLA4413

Says its the law.

Is that right?

Yeah he needs an EPC. Will cost about £50 I reckon.

The fact they've not asked for one up to now is interesting. Who's been offering? Not one of the EAs friends?

You should check it's being genuinely marketed.

Seen one sell for £30k round here - advertised at 80 - so I think some EA is playing games again for their mates.

Edited by SarahBell