House Price Crash Forum

Evening Courses/extra Income

guitarman001

HOLA441

Hey all,

For ages I've been saying 'I will do this and that and eventually earn extra income working a night or two throughout the week' but never got round to it. My main job is as an electronics design engineer - my main skill other than this is that I play guitar. I've thought about teaching - maybe I will at some point in future when I've got my own place (I guess I could always drive to where the work is, though!). I've been thinking about doing an evening course - maybe two throughout the course of this year. The girlfriend is keen on me doing painting and decorating (!) - whereas I'm thinking of learning a language (second choice) and really going through electrician training. Way I see it is I know a lot about this already having done electronics & electrical engineering at uni - the theory should be a breeze. I'd obviously have to get properly qualified, but what's to stop me! Plus if I ever do move abroad and electronics isn't big over there, I'll have the electrical side of things to back me up - and it's much easier to start a business doing that than in microelectronics, where you need several million up-front.

Two friends of mine work in the trades and earn more than I do - one is now possibly getting offshore work through his dad - and is planning on doing stonemasonry in the evenings! (Truly the 'traditional' route I took didn't pay off as much as the trades path did for them!)

Anybody else done something like this? Thinking about doing it? Any other ideas?

HOLA442

Interesting!! Think I'll stick to my main job for now though lol...

Have found a few good sites on training for trades such as plumbing/electrical - sounds like a really good thing to do. Earn extra at weekends etc, but it seems difficult to find an evening course! WIll keep ploughing through!

HOLA443

If your good at guitar, get a bass player, a drummer, and a singer and form a covers band. Do it right, get everything sounding good, buy your own PA stuff, get an agent and start doing weeding gigs and such things. Mate of mine does that and each band member takes home about 250 quid per gig. Not bad for a couple of hours work.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Archived