House Price Crash Forum

World Cup Tactics

betterToDo

HOLA441

World cup fever is swinging into action for seemingly the majority of the UK at least (is it just me that can't be arsed with it and feels the urge to stick French flags on the car?). Anyway, as uninteresting as that is, my cynical side is suggesting the football world cup will also be used to bury bad news about things that actually matter. I thought maybe a thread with candidates for this filthy little tactic might be fun?

Obviously, the June 22nd budget could be a candidate for this most classic one-two around the public's defences, but even I'm not cynical enough to think that was deliberately timed.

Would be very interested to hear if any careful observers spots some classic examples of this over the duration - the things that are announced that should by rights have been revealed at a different time when they may have experienced more scrutiny by the masses.

HOLA442

World cup fever is swinging into action for seemingly the majority of the UK at least (is it just me that can't be arsed with it and feels the urge to stick French flags on the car?). Anyway, as uninteresting as that is, my cynical side is suggesting the football world cup will also be used to bury bad news about things that actually matter. I thought maybe a thread with candidates for this filthy little tactic might be fun?

Obviously, the June 22nd budget could be a candidate for this most classic one-two around the public's defences, but even I'm not cynical enough to think that was deliberately timed.

Would be very interested to hear if any careful observers spots some classic examples of this over the duration - the things that are announced that should by rights have been revealed at a different time when they may have experienced more scrutiny by the masses.

Actually that could backfire.... I actually land during Englands second game against Algeria in South Africa and by the time we get through customs there is a possibilty England will be knocked out... Fecking hope not :lol: .... My point is that we could be knocked out on the 18th without even playing a thrid game and the dreaded budget is on the 22nd.... :o

HOLA443

Actually that could backfire.... I actually land during Englands second game against Algeria in South Africa and by the time we get through customs there is a possibilty England will be knocked out... Fecking hope not :lol: .... My point is that we could be knocked out on the 18th without even playing a thrid game and the dreaded budget is on the 22nd.... :o

haha great point. I hope for your sake at least they last that long.

HOLA444

On a pure maths thing, it is possible to get through a group with 1 win and 2 defeats but ONLY if there are no draws, and one team wins all 3 of its games. However, defeat to USA and Algeria would mean they may as well come home anyway.

I expect, as happens at every World Cup, to hear a commentator say 'and that result means they are out' or 'they are definitely through now' when actually, it is nothing of the sort. Football pundits always seem to be terrible at maths.

Greece v Argentina on the 22nd, emergency budget day, is somewhat apt though. :(

HOLA445

Time for some reverse cynicism.

The date of the budget is just over 6 weeks after the election - really the earliest it could possibly be held - so the fact that it's on 22nd June is really Gordon Brown's fault.

So did the English hating Scotsman cynically time the date of the election to ensure that Ozzy's first budget overshadows the England team's glorious march to victory?

Stranger things have happened.

HOLA446

I would be worried about landing in the UK during an England football match. Are you sure the Air Traffic Controllers are concentrating?

:lol: True.... But it`s the other way round... I land in JHB on the 18th and fly back on the 30th... 4 games and lots of driving.

Archived