House Price Crash Forum

Do Parents Lie To Ofsted

HOLA441

I tried to edit this for clarity, and it all went pear-shaped formatting wise. Aarrrgghhh!!!

So, I'll just leave the original question; how come a local school can, anecdotally, be terrible, but come out of every OFSTED report smelling of roses, time after time?

And how come, mysteriously, house prices are £100-200K higher in the catchment area of this "Top School," compared with those of identical houses immediately outside.

Is it possible that there's a conspiracy of silence here, where everyone keeps schtum in order to preserve the equity in their houses....or is it just coincidence?

Or maybe, is it just Surrey where OFSTED gets lied to by parents - so that a small number of lucky people can avoid having to pay private school fees, but still have a new 4x4 every other year - and the rest of the country is clean?

I'm farked if I can work out what is going on here!! blink.gifph34r.gif

Edited by buzzardo

HOLA442
HOLA443

let me help you out. you have become so obsessed by house prices you have totally lost your grip on reality. that is all that is going on here.

I've got some specifics to my hypothesis, which I've outlined in detail in my OP.

Feel free to state yours, rather than being your usual dismissive smart-**** self... :)

HOLA444
HOLA445

Indirect consequence - you're giving too much credit to them to begin with...

I don't believe I am.

It's a well-documented fact that house prices in the catchment areas of good schools are higher.

Assuming I interpreted your response correctly - but feel free to correct me if I didnt'!!;)

HOLA446

I don't believe I am.

It's a well-documented fact that house prices in the catchment areas of good schools are higher.

Assuming I interpreted your response correctly - but feel free to correct me if I didnt'!!;)

You did interpret correctly. Its a tricky one. On one hand your saying that parents will say whatever they can to ensure a school has a glowing 5* report card. But for most rational parents, why would they paint their school as perfect when they may know of a weakness in a certain area, and therefore why waste the opportunity to help highlight and improve that area in the school all in the aid of house prices?

Not saying your scenario is not possible, but given how passionate some are about ensuring their kids get the right education to get the right start in life, I'd put it on the lower end of chances.

HOLA447

You did interpret correctly. Its a tricky one. On one hand your saying that parents will say whatever they can to ensure a school has a glowing 5* report card. But for most rational parents, why would they paint their school as perfect when they may know of a weakness in a certain area, and therefore why waste the opportunity to help highlight and improve that area in the school all in the aid of house prices?

Not saying your scenario is not possible, but given how passionate some are about ensuring their kids get the right education to get the right start in life, I'd put it on the lower end of chances.

Cheers - makes some sense, and many thanks for the claricifation.

However, here we are talking the MEW'd up to the eyeballs set, who bought in from 2000-2007, and now don't have any way out....

Many such parents rarely pick their kids up from school, as they have the Nanny to do that, and because they're both flogging away in London, sixteen hours a day, to pay the dumbass £700K I/O mortgage, that they took out to buy into the local Stepford community. And that was WITH their £200K deposit!!!

I'm not saying you're wrong, but you have to smell it - up close and personal - to see the kind of desperation that means house prices round here can NEVER be allowed to correct. As least as far as they are concerned....

Hence the hypothesis I'm testing here - and hence why I'm also seeing if it's only a South Farnham phenomenom.

I'm sure it can't be a one-off... huh.gif

Edited by buzzardo

HOLA448

You could be onto something, but without actual figures it would be a tough one to call. From what I gather though, banks have become very wary about MEWing as of lately, even with those who have equity and the income to back it.

What about the actual sample size who complete these Ofsted reports - if they're really doing 16hr/days, would they even have time to fill in such questionnaires or would there be a sufficient sample size to be representative of that school? Arguably too many if's.