House Price Crash Forum

Shops Seem To Be Slashing Prices

HOLA441

I've done the 'they don't just make tat in China, they make everything' argument ad nauseum. No-one seems to want to hear it.

Unfortunately, it's at a stage where there is simply no domestic manufacturing facilty for many common and essential household items in the UK, whatsoever. That's not to imply there's anything wrong with the ones coming from China.

Anyone know why northern Italy is so good/competitive for moulded plastic products?

Doesn't make any sense to me- all I can think of is that the transport to Europe is too bulky for the Far East...

HOLA442

Anyone know why northern Italy is so good/competitive for moulded plastic products?

Doesn't make any sense to me- all I can think of is that the transport to Europe is too bulky for the Far East...

Yes, pretty much it, with plastic containers, costly to ship. Those ubiquitous Really Useful Boxes are one of the few things actually manufactured in this country as they're too pricey to ship. Met the guy who started the company at some social gathering or another. He was an accountant who got fed up of the crappy cardboard boxes offices used for filing so decided to come up with a better alternative. Judging by the offices I've seen virtually no-one has bought them for that intended purpose, I can only assume people have bought them for other purposes of their own initiative as he had seen pretty impressive sales growth.

Although with plastic boxes etc. there's the transport factor Italy has a much bigger consumer goods manufacturing sector than this country and are quite dominant in several sectors.

HOLA443

Was talking about this with cut glass just the other week. Most that you see now - even at the more expensive side - seems to be pressed. No 'sharp' edges - clearly been formed rather than cut. Got some nice older pieces from slovakia, which are cut, and ring like bells. Can't find anything to match them in the main uk shops.

Only Crystal will ring.

Glass will always sound dull, no matter what the quality.

HOLA444

Most stuff like this is just 'playing on the name' - as in old Blitish craftsmanship. 99% Stoke on trent has been closed and/or outsourced to china!

Your decanter prob cost no more than .90p to mass produce!

Xie Xie/doh jeh - for the business!

Yes

Actually i saw something the other week that surprised even me

Box of chocolates , chocolate from Belgium but made in China.

HOLA445

Yes

Actually i saw something the other week that surprised even me

Box of chocolates , chocolate from Belgium but made in China.

Have to be quite careful these days with confectionery. A fair bit now comes in from China, particularly stuff specially for Halloween or Christmas. Things like the icing hand finishing on long-coded foods like Christmas cakes have to be watched.

I just don't really trust foodstuffs from China after all the tainting scares. Having said that, it's very difficult to avoid Chinese honey.

HOLA446

The motorcycle industry in the Sixties/Seventies is a good example of complacency. The Japanese products were derided as vastly inferior to what we were churning out in the Midlands. Look at them now!

Yes ,Japan did put out poor quality tat back in the day.

Now their workers get paid much higher wages they are putting out top notch stuff.

Chinese stuff will always be rubbish unless they lift wages so the workers give a damn.

HOLA447

Oh, how the other half live.... people who use an intermediate recepticle to transfer water from the tap to the specific personal drinking recepticle. Now that it class Rodders, class.

On a related note, I purchased 4 Whisky tumblers today from Wilkos for the full retail price of 80p (20p each). Daylight ******ing robbery

I sincerely hope that you're not intending to drink whisky out of those cheap glasses!?!?! :o

Half of the enjoyment of whisky is to use a glass that's almost as expensive as the bottle of whisky itself.

HOLA448

Not sure what this has got to do with HPC but take a look at Cumbria Crystal. Hand Made in the North West (probably the only UK manufacturer to still hand cut by skilled craftsmen).

It does look very nice. You don't know if they stock any down south?

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Yes ,Japan did put out poor quality tat back in the day.

Now their workers get paid much higher wages they are putting out top notch stuff.

Chinese stuff will always be rubbish unless they lift wages so the workers give a damn.

You've got that backwards.

Poor quality tat sells for low prices so wages are low.

High quality tat sells for high prices so wages could be higher. However because the tat is of higher quality it will either take more skill to make or require more automated help. Both of those items ensure higher wages.

You need to invest and spend money for quality. If you are willing to pay for it $500 will pay you a fake watch exactly identical to the retail version. You can also buy a really, really poor quality one for $5. China (often the same factories) can provide both quality and cheap tat. Guess which ones our profiteering retail establishments buy and leave the made in china tag on and which they buy but replace the tag.

Edited by eek

HOLA4411

BRC warns of a tough 2010 ahead for retailers Retailers face 'very tough' 2010

Retailers are facing a "very tough" 2010, despite posting upbeat Christmas sales figures, the head of the British Retail Consortium (BRC) has warned.

BRC director general Stephen Robertson said consumer spending may not grow in the face of tax rises and continuing economic uncertainty.

"There will be tough sales and perhaps no growth," he said in an interview with the Sunday Telegraph.

Marks and Spencer has already warned that 2010 trading will be difficult.

AT A GLANCE

M&S - like-for-like sales up 0.8% in three months to 26 December

John Lewis - revenues of £500.8m in five weeks to 2 January. Like-for-like sales up 12.7%

Next - like-for-like sales up 3.2% in 22 weeks to 24 December

Asda - said it had a 'solid' Christmas

Majestic Wine - like-for-like sales up 11.7% in nine weeks to 4 January

Ocado - like-for-like sales up 30% in four weeks to 26 December

Shop Direct - sales up 6.3% in six weeks to 1 January

Sainsbury's - like-for-like sales up 3.7%, excluding fuel, in the 13 weeks to 2 January.

Meanwhile, low-cost fashion retailer Peacocks said on Sunday that its like-for-like sales, which pulls out the impact of new store openings, rose 17% in December and early January.

Mr Robertson added that householders were also choosing to save more.

The RBC is expected to report on Tuesday that industry-wide sales in December were at least 4% higher than the same month in 2008.

It comes after retailers including John Lewis, Next and Sainsbury's all reported strong Christmas trading.

Upbeat festive figures are also expected this week from supermarkets Tesco and Co-operative.

Likely tax rises

With a general election due to take place before the summer, all of the main political parties have vowed to tackle the UK's public deficit, which currently stands at £178bn. This will likely mean both tax rises and spending cuts.

A new 50% top rate of income tax for those earning more than £150,000 will come into effect from April, and Labour has announced that National Insurance will go up from 2011.

While the Conservatives have put more focus on budget cuts, shadow business secretary Ken Clarke said earlier this month that a Conservative government would not rule out raising taxes.

Some commentators expect that if the Conservatives win power, VAT may go up from 17.5% to 20%.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/business/8450553.stm

Published: 2010/01/10 16:42:26 GMT

© BBC MMX

Note the article ends with a suggestion Tories may up VAT, but let's not forget since 1997 Labour has done nothing but put up taxes (eg NI) and introduce new taxes all around, Labour are as far from a low tax govt as is possible to be.

Edited by The Last Bear