House Price Crash Forum

Bbc Reporting Of England's World Cup Qualification

hedgefunded

HOLA441

You'd think that the line would be "England have qualified for the 2010 World Cup after beating Croatia......blah blah..."

Oh no, that would be way too nationalistic and could offend the useless football nations.

So, they 8:00 headline on Radio 2 is "England fans are celebrating after their team qualified for the World Cup after......"

The difference is subtle, yet huge. Can you imagine the Kraut or Frog state broadcaster doing this? Hell no. They'd begin with "We've qualified....."

******ing Pravda.

HOLA442
You'd think that the line would be "England have qualified for the 2010 World Cup after beating Croatia......blah blah..."

Oh no, that would be way too nationalistic and could offend the useless football nations.

So, they 8:00 headline on Radio 2 is "England fans are celebrating after their team qualified for the World Cup after......"

The difference is subtle, yet huge. Can you imagine the Kraut or Frog state broadcaster doing this? Hell no. They'd begin with "We've qualified....."

******ing Pravda.

England is not the ony nation to inhabit these isles.

HOLA443

British Broadcasting Corporation.

If it were the English Broadcasting Corporation, fair enough.

There will still be Scottish people complaining that they've already heard too much about it and that the coverage is biased towards thinking of England as the only "home team" etc etc.

HOLA444

I don't personally see what the difference is. And I am sure that I have heard both versions used interchangeably on TV and radio.

HOLA445
British Broadcasting Corporation.

If it were the English Broadcasting Corporation, fair enough.

There will still be Scottish people complaining that they've already heard too much about it and that the coverage is biased towards thinking of England as the only "home team" etc etc.

Actually, I agree with the OP. However, if Wales win the rugby or anything, it's usually 35th item on the news.

HOLA446
HOLA447
Actually, I agree with the OP. However, if Wales win the rugby or anything, it's usually 35th item on the news.

There are about 2.9 million people in Wales and 49 million in England, therefore from a UK perspective less people are likely to be that bothered about what the Welsh rugby team are doing.

I have nothing against the Welsh just a simple case of numbers.

HOLA448

Archived