House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hedgefunded

Bbc Reporting Of England's World Cup Qualification

You'd think that the line would be "England have qualified for the 2010 World Cup after beating Croatia......blah blah..."

Oh no, that would be way too nationalistic and could offend the useless football nations.

So, they 8:00 headline on Radio 2 is "England fans are celebrating after their team qualified for the World Cup after......"

The difference is subtle, yet huge. Can you imagine the Kraut or Frog state broadcaster doing this? Hell no. They'd begin with "We've qualified....."

******ing Pravda.

You'd think that the line would be "England have qualified for the 2010 World Cup after beating Croatia......blah blah..."

Oh no, that would be way too nationalistic and could offend the useless football nations.

So, they 8:00 headline on Radio 2 is "England fans are celebrating after their team qualified for the World Cup after......"

The difference is subtle, yet huge. Can you imagine the Kraut or Frog state broadcaster doing this? Hell no. They'd begin with "We've qualified....."

******ing Pravda.

England is not the ony nation to inhabit these isles.

British Broadcasting Corporation.

If it were the English Broadcasting Corporation, fair enough.

There will still be Scottish people complaining that they've already heard too much about it and that the coverage is biased towards thinking of England as the only "home team" etc etc.

Guest Skinty

I don't personally see what the difference is. And I am sure that I have heard both versions used interchangeably on TV and radio.

British Broadcasting Corporation.

If it were the English Broadcasting Corporation, fair enough.

There will still be Scottish people complaining that they've already heard too much about it and that the coverage is biased towards thinking of England as the only "home team" etc etc.

Actually, I agree with the OP. However, if Wales win the rugby or anything, it's usually 35th item on the news.

England is not the ony nation to inhabit these isles.

I never claimed they were.

I was just pointing out the subtle way in which our national broadcaster distances itself from my country.

Actually, I agree with the OP. However, if Wales win the rugby or anything, it's usually 35th item on the news.

There are about 2.9 million people in Wales and 49 million in England, therefore from a UK perspective less people are likely to be that bothered about what the Welsh rugby team are doing.

I have nothing against the Welsh just a simple case of numbers.

I never claimed they were.

I was just pointing out the subtle way in which our national broadcaster distances itself from my country.

See post 5