House Price Crash Forum

Commercial Property Recovery 'will Take More Than Five Years'

HOLA441

Telegraph: Commercial property recovery 'will take more than five years'

The UK commercial property market will take more than five years to recover the losses endured during the present downturn, new research claims.

Read all here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbys...five-years.html

I could never understand where ANYONE got the idea that commercial property was NOT going to collapse spectacularly. The evidence has been all around for anyone with eyes to see - MILE UPON MILE OF VACANT PROPERTY -- FOR YEARS!! :rolleyes:

Edited by eric pebble

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

GC1: a small 200ft sq unit...I do some work with a Naive entreprenuer...wondered if £1000 pcm was a good rent...he was a bit worried.

2 years later..he is gone, we move in to similar unit opposite: £240 pcm including rates and leccy.

HOLA445
HOLA446
A 75% reduction.

God we live in a over inflated country.

thats what happens in a boom. people lose all sense of proportion.

this one, 10 years in the making, has left a whole generation without a sense of value...all they see is a monthly outgo....fine till it all goes wrong.

HOLA447
HOLA448

I am sure that the rules meaning full business rates are payable for empty commercial property will compound the falls. Even if you own the property outright, it will still be a heavy cost if not occupied. I think that secondary locations will be very badly hit. In these areas owners will price rents more and more fiercely to attract the limited pool of prospective tenants. In better areas with higher occupancy rates owners are more likely to hold out for better prices and collapses will not be so marked, but the 'more than five years' prediction still does not seem an exaggeration.

HOLA449
GC1: a small 200ft sq unit...I do some work with a Naive entreprenuer...wondered if £1000 pcm was a good rent...he was a bit worried.

2 years later..he is gone, we move in to similar unit opposite: £240 pcm including rates and leccy.

And it should be NO MORE than that. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: