House Price Crash Forum

How Higher Would You Guess Greater London Prices Will Be Next Year?

HOLA441

Where do you think we'll stand regarding London by end of 2009?

Be interesting to see what people really think of the area which will allegedly hold up better than average...

I'm talking about nominal prices (ie not inflation adjusted)

Edited by jcpricewatcher

HOLA442
HOLA443

I was one of the conservatives that went for 2-10... but that was because you only asked about next year. I think they have to drop by about 75% before they are realistic. I figure, a flat I lived in in my old haut of Finsbury Park was valued at 65,000 in 1996. A flat in that building sold for 300,000 in 2003, therefore, factoring in inflation, another one sold for 286,000 in 2007 (my old flat) (the land registry has lost the entry for the first sale in 2002 for 228,000 or thereabouts). But I think the 65K was about right for that flat - at the time about 3 1/2 x the wages for a reasonable but not posh job. It was in a reasonable enough (sort of) but not posh area. It still is (and I am betting the locals are breathing a sigh of relief for the new aresenal stadium). Anyway I could have afforded the morgage and I could have afforded to save the deposit.

Based on 3% inflation, in 2010 I reckon the corrected value of that flat, is about 98,000, but the economy will be so crank in 2010 that it may well hit a curve where it goes right back to the 1996 price. So my prediction is that the bottom trough will be the 1996 price without adjustment for inflation. Whatever the property!

Good on the germans for being so conservative. Less swings and roundabouts.

Edited by Elizabeth

HOLA444
I was one of the conservatives that went for 2-10... but that was because you only asked about next year. I think they have to drop by about 75% before they are realistic. I figure, a flat I lived in in my old haut of Finsbury Park was valued at 65,000 in 1996. A flat in that building sold for 300,000 in 2003, therefore, factoring in inflation, another one sold for 286,000 in 2007 (my old flat) (the land registry has lost the entry for the first sale in 2002 for 228,000 or thereabouts). But I think the 65K was about right for that flat - at the time about 3 1/2 x the wages for a reasonable but not posh job. It was in a reasonable enough (sort of) but not posh area. It still is (and I am betting the locals are breathing a sigh of relief for the new aresenal stadium). Anyway I could have afforded the morgage and I could have afforded to save the deposit.

Based on 3% inflation, in 2010 I reckon the corrected value of that flat, is about 98,000, but the economy will be so crank in 2010 that it may well hit a curve where it goes right back to the 1996 price. So my prediction is that the bottom trough will be the 1996 price without adjustment for inflation. Whatever the property!

About right I would say.

As an aside, my grandparents had a house in Finsbury Park years back. A huge Victorian place with an outside loo. Got bombed in the war and all they got out was a chair with bits of bomb in it.

HOLA445
About right I would say.

As an aside, my grandparents had a house in Finsbury Park years back. A huge Victorian place with an outside loo. Got bombed in the war and all they got out was a chair with bits of bomb in it.

What? They didn't manage to retrieve 220K of get rich quick equity? Probably worked all their honest lives too. This actually really touches me. This is the real reason that houses are made. Not for young men in pin striped suits to scurry around making money over. But for people to live in while they build lives and families and stories and memories.

HOLA446

That's a very gloom and doom point of view! - The question is, the values very at their trough in 2006, is it not entirely possible it was in fact undervalued at the time?

Personally, realistically, I wouldn't have thought that the flat you mention would fall under 150,000. Oh, btw, that 3% inflation figure is probably flawed, since as many people point out, real world inflation is higher.

(Government seem to put iPods, TVs and other depreciating things in the inflation basket to keep it down!)

Personally I reckon around minus 20-30% from today's figures. Believe it or not, people are still buying(!)...

Edit: Added 'minus' in front of 20-30% just to clarify!

Edited by jcpricewatcher

HOLA447
Personally I reckon around 20-30% from today's figures. Believe it or not, people are still buying(!)...

Oh, so that's your vote on the 'greater than +10% option. Bless! :rolleyes: Why didn't you provide the same positive options as the negative ones if you really thought you'd get that much HPI?

HOLA448
Oh, so that's your vote on the 'greater than +10% option. Bless! :rolleyes: Why didn't you provide the same positive options as the negative ones if you really thought you'd get that much HPI?

:lol: - Oops, I meant MINUS 20 - 30%! Given the current climate I've now gotten any change in house prices to be negative unless otherwise qualified ;)

Apologies for the confusion, however, bet it gave you a good chuckle.

Edited by jcpricewatcher

HOLA449
:lol: - Oops, I meant MINUS 20 - 30%! Given the current climate I've now gotten any change in house prices to be negative unless otherwise qualified ;)

Apologies for the confusion, however, bet it gave you a good chuckle.

:lol: Well that saves me from posting this then:

London falls by 1.5% in May

I wonder who voted for >10% then?!

Edited by Disillusioned

HOLA4410
:lol: Well that saves me from posting this then:

London falls by 1.5% in May

I wonder who voted for >10% then?!

Don't know but it appeared soon after my original post. May have been someone having a laugh and trying to skew the stats... But then again you never know, Brown may pull a rabbit out of his hat and fix it all and give us a spring bounce in 2009?

Edited by jcpricewatcher

HOLA4411
Where do you think we'll stand regarding London by end of 2009?

Be interesting to see what people really think of the area which will allegedly hold up better than average...

I'm talking about nominal prices (ie not inflation adjusted)

I can let you know prices in central london are 8% 14 % lower already.