Newcastle Upon Tyne

neilrich

HOLA441
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Absolutely tragic, isn't it? Even more so when you reflect that the prices quotes will still buy a large flat or house in most parts of Gateshead - but they obviously think that they are buying a slice of Quayside living and are drawn the newness of the accommodation on offer (how big are the £100K one bedroom jobs, I wonder.

And -

"When residents want to sell their homes, BoKlok will sell them for them at open market value to another person within the intended client group."

So they're only marketable if the builders can find a new buyer who's "acceptable," fits their "profile," to take the property on, at a "market price" to be determined by.......

Dear God.

HOLA443

Ikea BOKLOK development, St James Village, Gateshead

I attended the Ikea promotion at their Gateshead store yesterday and obtained the following figures. You can buy outright for the first, or a 50% shared ownership with rent for the second:

• 1 Bed Appartment, 46m2, £99,500 or £49,750 plus £185 rent per month.
  • 2 Bed Appartment, 58m2, £124,950 or £62,475 plus £240 per month.
  • Molna 2 Bed Townhouse, 67m2, £132,500 or £66,250 plus £250 per month.
  • Alsten 2 Bed Townhouse, 70m2, £139,500 or £69,750 plus £250 per month.
  • Jarnbro 3 Bed Townhouse, 81m2, £149,500 or £74,750 plus £275 per month.

They are rushing this through (before people think what they're really worth?) with application due before a closing date of 15th October 07.

Also from the brochure :

Applications will not be accepted from investors. To discourage speculative aquisition capital appreciation above 5% per annum will be shared with the freeholder on any properties sold within three years.
Mortgage and rental costs if applicable should be no greater than 40% of net income.......5% deposit required

HOLA444

They wouldn't be that bad even at those prices if they just weren't where they are, the location is truely terrible. Also, you're advertising how flammable your new wooden box... errr "house" is to the adjacent residents of felling.

I'm interested to know how much the new houses that are being built across the metro line are going to be, surprise surprise though, they look like they're going to be a series of terraces for those who don't like rotating felines by their tail, or worse, a crap load of luxury flats. Class.

...And what did they do to get the land? They knocked down a load of much bigger (but old) terrace houses, it probably would have been better just to do them up, however I suppose since their internal space would not be akin to a bread receptacle and the developer wouldn't get people paying half a million to live in felling they'll just have to make them 3 feet wide to keep the price below 200K...

Edited by meow

HOLA445
To discourage speculative aquisition capital appreciation above 5% per annum will be shared with the freeholder on any properties sold within three years.

nice work if you can get it, do they share losses as well?

Edited by Quokka

HOLA446
HOLA447

I've been watching DH2/3 since last year mainly terraces and houses.

It seems the real movement is flats, now down 17% over the year for CLS area according to BBC.

Most for sale on Right move are in Sandringham Court.

A top spot facing the bus depot. See pic of advertised view :lol:

An amazing change of fortune is shown in the Nethouseprices figures.

28 sold last year, one sold this year :o

How many are BTL? Surprise-surprise, 7 for sale - 8 for rent...

36057_SAN0043CLS_IMG_02_0000.jpg

post-1618-1191879822_thumb.jpg

HOLA448

Bargains houses at North Shield's Royal Quays development soon ?

Atmel (formerly Siemens) to close:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/7035059.stm

Bad news for them - many were ruined once when Siemens left, now its happening again. It says a lot for so called regeneration policies around the country. Hi tech industry can go just as quickly as it comes.

Edited by rich1234

HOLA449
I've been watching DH2/3 since last year mainly terraces and houses.

It seems the real movement is flats, now down 17% over the year for CLS area according to BBC.

Most for sale on Right move are in Sandringham Court.

A top spot facing the bus depot. See pic of advertised view :lol:

An amazing change of fortune is shown in the Nethouseprices figures.

28 sold last year, one sold this year :o

How many are BTL? Surprise-surprise, 7 for sale - 8 for rent...

Know the area well, isn't that within sniffing distance of a certain "public works". Mmmmm fragrant.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
True, forgot about that, just over the bypass.

The location is dire,

What's new? Most new builds these days seem to be in crappy little cubby holes.

and I was wondering what was there before.

Not housing for sure.

If I remember right, it used to be nothing.

HOLA4412

Two notable new developments likely to get the greenlight, according to the Chronicle.

Ouseburn:

Controversial plans for a £25m waterfront flats, office and leisure complex on Newcastle Quayside are set to win city council backing.

Planning officials will recommend members of the development control committee support the scheme, at the mouth of the Ouseburn where it meets the Tyne, at a meeting on Friday, despite objections.

These include residents, a 1,300-name petition from customers of the nearby Free Trade pub and Star and Shadow cinema, Byker councillors Nick Kemp and Veronica Dunn, and members of the Ouseburn management board.

Council officials are backing the scheme which also has the broad support of English Heritage, Newcastle conservation advisory panel, the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment.

The proposal by George Wimpey UK Ltd is for a 13-storey block with 89 apartments and cafe and gallery on the ground floor, a five to seven-storey office building with a restaurant and newsagent, a public square, and a 40-space underground car park. Around 320 jobs would be created, plus 100 during construction, and if the go-ahead is given it will end a seven-year wrangle over the future of the site.

Objectors complain about the size and design which they say will obscure views of the Tyne, impact on the historic Ouseburn area and cause potential traffic problems. Coun Kemp, who is chairman of Byker ward committee, is concerned about the size of the building and traffic and says there is already a huge number of vacant apartments on the Quayside.

In a report to councillors, Harvey Emms, the council’s head of planning and transportation, says that in his view the design does justice to what is a unique and remarkable setting.

“Given the prominence and sensitivity of the site and the considerable public interest, I suspect it is probably impossible to identify a scheme which would satisfy everybody’s aspirations or achieve unanimity. In my view, the applicants and their architects deserve credit for learning from the previous unsatisfactory proposals and seeking to design a scheme which sits comfortably with its surroundings.”

Pilgrim Street:

Newcastle's shopping heartland is to undergo its biggest transformation for a generation.

Details of the multi-million pound plans, which could create up to 3,000 jobs, were unveiled today.They include a major new department store, leisure outlets, offices, hotels, housing, student accommodation and new public spaces in the city centre’s biggest development since Eldon Square was built in the 1970s. Covering 33 acres, the project, in a neglected corner of the city, could bring investment of around £800m and would place Newcastle’s shopping centre on a par with the likes of Leeds.

The city council is producing options aimed at reinforcing the city’s position as the region’s shopping capital after carrying out a study with the help of experts including English Heritage. The planned development would see the re-use of historic buildings while there is some proposed demolition of 1960s and 70s buildings. Consultations will get under way next month with residents, businesses and councillors before plans are finalised. Work could start in 2010 with a scheduled finish by the end of 2015.

The focus is on the east side of Pilgrim Street and the surrounding area which contains many dilapidated, empty buildings. Many including the former fire station are owned by property developer Multiplex which is expected to unveil its plans soon.

Council leaders said retailers want to come to Newcastle but if they aren’t made welcome they will go elsewhere. Newcastle has fallen from 11th to 15th place in the national shopping league since 1995 and is in danger of slipping even further. The aim is to provide an extra 75,000 sq metres of shopping floorspace by 2016 including expansion by existing retailers. Redevelopment will be focused south of New Bridge Street West and there could be some demolition but the area contains many historic buildings which will be preserved and restored.

The study also included streets north of New Bridge Street West because of the impact the development will have, including pedestrian links. The aim is to create a "golden triangle’’ of shopping, building on the successes of Northumberland Street and Eldon Square, currently being expanded and modernised at a cost of £180m. The new shopping area will be around half the size of the expanded Eldon Square and there could be around 200,000sq ft of office space with new restaurants and cafe bars.

Other ideas include a new cinema following the closure of the Odeon on Pilgrim Street and better links with the Quayside which could involve a new footbridge.

At the heart of the scheme is a new flagship department store to complement the likes of Fenwick, Marks & Spencer and John Lewis, and the new Debenham’s store planned in Eldon Square. Proposals also include high street shops.

At present around 78,000 people a day use Northumberland Street but only around 7,000 venture into Pilgrim Street.

Council leader Coun John Shipley said: "Our city is going through some very exciting changes, a real sign that Newcastle is on the up, and the regeneration of east Pilgrim Street will allow us to continue those changes into the next decade. This project will bring major economic benefits, employment opportunities and even new housing to Newcastle as well as reinforcing our position as the regional capital. The area has massive potential but is chronically under-used so it’s a crucial regeneration priority for us. Its historical architecture and proximity to the city centre mean there is a real opportunity for us to develop the area into a vibrant and distinctive new quarter.’’

In a report to councillors, head of planning and transportation Harvey Emms and head of property services Nick Rowley said: "The east Pilgrim Street area is a crucial regeneration priority located at the heart of the city centre adjacent to the main shopping area. Many of the buildings and sites are vacant or underused. The area is poorly connected, contains areas of poor environmental quality, yet is highly accessible. Through re-use of historic buildings and development of new buildings and public space it has great potential to become a distinctive new retail led, mixed use quarter of the city centre. Buildings include fine 18th century listed buildings and grand art deco 20th century buildings which give the area a distinctive, interesting character. However, there are also 1960s and 1970s buildings of no architectural or historic merit which could be demolished to make way for major new buildings creating a new gateway into the city centre."

A planning application for the scheme is expected in December 2008.

HOLA4413

Generally positive news. The former was originally a 33 storey block in the Wimpey scheme , so 13 is actually quite a victory. Before the site was sold to Wimpey it had been planned to do a "hockey stick" up to around 9 storeys I recall - I think this would have been best - the FreeTrade customers shot themselves in the foot.

The second scheme should help the owners of 55 degrees north, but they've probably got 5-10 years of building work on their doorstep ahead of them.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I just see it as more pie in the sky, just what Newcastle needs... more retail space, more empty offices and more two bedroom shoe boxes!!

Take yesterday's news..."We'll invest billions on Teesside" "2500 Jobs created on Teesside"

Now read the small print! "A £2 billion pound oil facility creating thousands of jobs is set to be built on Teesside. And they'll start work just as soon as they find someone to foot the bill. It's being billed as one of biggest boosts for the area in years. The crude oil processing plant would be built by the Sonhoe Development Company and based at Wilton. Only the company, despite having the plan in place, has no money. Tees Valley Regeneration says, if the plant does go ahead, it will create between 2,000 - 2,500 construction jobs over a three to four year period. There would then be 300 - 400 core employment positions on site once the plant is operational."

Anyone remember the ambitious plans from a decade ago, they were to build a canal for ocean going vessels linking the river Tyne with the Solway Firth and the Irish Sea! I seem to recall that those plans also promised thousands of jobs and made the front page of the Journal!! :lol:

Meanwhile nothing is being done to address our trade deficit, I'd be far more interested to hear about how we are going to tackle our mounting economic problems!

Edited by neilrich

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

No sense of humour either! Just goes to show you're wrong yet again, you're becoming delusional about me!! Don't worry I learnt a long time ago that the best things in life are free! I am in fact a very positive person, always smiling, a professional in a very good career (recession proof) and very optimistic about my future! If you believe otherwise then it is you who should be very worried, unfortunately, as I wish to remain anonymous I'm not prepared to disclose what it is I do for a living! :)

Edited by neilrich

HOLA4424

As an exiled Geordie myself, I would love to see the Pilgrim Street area redeveloped.

Everytime I come back to Newcastle, I am still struck by its magnificence and its beauty in its architecture, except for the T Dan Smith inspired monstrosities around Swan House.

I will happily bore people for hours about the wierd buildings, the "chares" everywhere, street names like "Close", "Sandhill" and "Side", the Cooperage, and so on and so on.

If Pilgrim Street can be smartened up creating extra office space for the city, excellent. Just as long as it's nothing like those horrible new student flats in Manors. They should make it the "business" end of Newcastle - a beautiful, elegant, presitigious place to work - just like they've done with the Quayside.

HOLA4425