House Price Crash Forum

Can An Ea/ll Choose Your Utility Supplier?

cpw

HOLA441

Can an EA/LL choose who you use to supply gas and electric?

Reading the 'terms of business' I discover that the EA will choose this on the basis that they need to be in control of meter readings.

Surely this is an Unfair Contract Term?

HOLA442

Reading the 'terms of business' I discover that the EA will choose this on the basis that they need to be in control of meter readings.

Geeszzzz...cpw...you remind me of me 5 years or so ago......

No, the LL has fook all to do with your choice of whatever you decide...tell him/her to fook off.

You have the right to a quiet environemnt...the LL/EA/LA cannot do anything in the house/flat without your consent...they are not even entitled to come in unless you give them permission, which you can refuse.

Learn quickly, or they will fleece you - methinks they are already trying it on.....

Stand your ground, politely at first, then tell them in no uncertain terms.

Be strong.......there are always places to rent.....

And for Gods sake, don't insure the LL stuff or building - that's their bill, not yours.

I recently threatened my LA with legal action for not repairing a fault with my flat...waiting for months....within 20 hours, they called me and it is fixed.....when you take them on, they sh** themselves....

Take a copy of some legal papers on tenants rights...we have loads, i mean loads :rolleyes:

LOADS!!!

Edited by Modern Day Activist

HOLA443
HOLA444

No they can't see the OFT unfair T&C's document it is unlawful to make you use a certain supply for contracts over 6 months however worth considering that most energy suppliers insist on a 12 month contract so sometimes it makes sense to use what you have if you don't intend to stick around long

Edited by Matt Henson

HOLA445
No they can't see the OFT unfair T&C's document it is unlawful to make you use a certain supply for contracts over 6 months however worth considering that most energy suppliers insist on a 12 month contract so sometimes it makes sense to use what you have if you don't intend to stick around long

'Mobile workforce' = 'us tenants can chose whatever we want, the LL can 'fook off'.

HOLA446

Most stick something in the contract about having to inform the landlord/agent if you change supplier, however informing them is all you are required to do, you can have whichever supplier you like.

Edited by gilf

HOLA447

Good point about the minimum contract periods, though. I've changed leccy/gas suppliers once and phone/ADSL twice since moving here. The deals that actually make changing worth it all have 12-month minimum periods, and in the case of my current phone/ADSL contract, it's 18 months.

Out of interest, what's the legal situation if you end a tenancy with one of these minimum contract terms still running? Can you simply notify the supplier that you're moving out of the property and [insert name of LL] is now responsible for the bill, and thus the LL liable to keep it on or pay the exit fee? Or will you personally be held liable for the exit fee, wherever you go? Whereas LLs can't dictate who you buy your utilities from, presumably they don't have to assume responsibility for a contract they didn't enter into.

HOLA448
No they can't see the OFT unfair T&C's document it is unlawful to make you use a certain supply for contracts over 6 months

No. This is an assertion I often see repeated, but it is incorrect.

The OFT document you refer to is guidance and not law. The OFT may have an incredibly and unjustifiably high opinion of themselves, but they are not given the power to make law. The courts can and often do ignore OFT guidance. I once had a judge describe an extremely extravagant reading of the 99 regs contained in the OFT's guidance as "utter nonesense", which was a shame, becauseat the time I was relying on the guidance to make my point.

Edited by agent46

HOLA449
Good point about the minimum contract periods, though. I've changed leccy/gas suppliers once and phone/ADSL twice since moving here. The deals that actually make changing worth it all have 12-month minimum periods, and in the case of my current phone/ADSL contract, it's 18 months.

Out of interest, what's the legal situation if you end a tenancy with one of these minimum contract terms still running? Can you simply notify the supplier that you're moving out of the property and [insert name of LL] is now responsible for the bill, and thus the LL liable to keep it on or pay the exit fee? Or will you personally be held liable for the exit fee, wherever you go? Whereas LLs can't dictate who you buy your utilities from, presumably they don't have to assume responsibility for a contract they didn't enter into.

You are right you are entirely responsible for the contract you take out with a service provider however most lest you take the contract with you particularly broadband suppliers (beware, only if the service is available in you new house) The LL does not have a responsibility for these things unless the contract is with them and you pay them for the use. In most cases the service providers can and will using nasty ballifs very quickly (particularly water companies) to collect the full amount owed under the contract. I had EDF energy use a right knob to chase me for £8 which is didn't even owe. EDF waived it in the end and I force them to get the evil ballif to write an apology for calling me "scum", they also lost the EDF contract but I bet is cost them the best part of £300 to chase a mere £8 mad

HOLA4410
No. This is an assertion I often see repeated, but it is incorrect.

The OFT document you refer to is guidance and not law. The OFT may have an incredibly and unjustifiably high opinion of themselves, but they are not given the power to make law. The courts can and often do ignore OFT guidance. I once had a judge describe an extremely extravagant reading of the 99 regs contained in the OFT's guidance as "utter nonesense", which was a shame, becauseat the time I was relying on the guidance to make my point.

OK unfair, you are absolutely right ;)