House Price Crash Forum

Buying Buffett

AC2

HOLA441

Does anyone know how to do this? I can't seem to do it through www.iii.co.uk, presumably because the BRK.A and BRK.B shares are traded on the NYSE rather than the LSE. Does anyone know the simplest way of buying these shares? I'd be buying to hold rather than trade short term, in fact I might prefer to actually have the paper in my hands (or a deposit box) if possible.

HOLA442
Does anyone know how to do this? I can't seem to do it through www.iii.co.uk, presumably because the BRK.A and BRK.B shares are traded on the NYSE rather than the LSE. Does anyone know the simplest way of buying these shares? I'd be buying to hold rather than trade short term, in fact I might prefer to actually have the paper in my hands (or a deposit box) if possible.

Plenty of UK online sharetrading accounts allow trading in US-listed securities. I use Iweb Sharedealing, and they let me buy/sell Berkshire Hathaway. However, this Iweb is a nominee shareholder service (and is part of the huge & mortgage-exposed HBOS), so you may want to look elsewhere if you want the ultimate security...

Another difficulty is that a single HRK.A share costs approx USD 4700 at present, so it's not ideal if you're planning to invest a small amount!

HOLA443
Plenty of UK online sharetrading accounts allow trading in US-listed securities. I use Iweb Sharedealing, and they let me buy/sell Berkshire Hathaway. However, this Iweb is a nominee shareholder service (and is part of the huge & mortgage-exposed HBOS), so you may want to look elsewhere if you want the ultimate security...

Another difficulty is that a single HRK.A share costs approx USD 4700 at present, so it's not ideal if you're planning to invest a small amount!

Thanks. I've checked with III and it was a temporary glitch, now sorted out; they can trade most US equities. Motley Fool allows trading in BRK too, although (like III) only the cheaper 'B' shares, not the £70k+ BRK.A shares. I don't think I'll lose much sleep over that!

Good point about the nominee stuff - I don't know if III or Fool work on the same basis or not. More research...

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA444