House Price Crash Forum

Nationwide Also Tightened Lending Criteria

HOLA441

two weeks ago I toyed with the idea of buying the sort of palatial mansion that a man of my standing should own. Obviously it entailed a huge mortgage. Then I worked out the stamp duty, insurance, life cover, blaa, blaa and at was clearly bonkers. I looked at keeping more of my deposit and increasing the mortgage and the nationwide gaily told me that they would lend me up to £850k (what??!!). 90% LTV, no problem.

Then the 25 year rate was withdrawn (still not come back) and 10 year fix re-adjusted. Suddenly 85% LTV is the max. So my spending power (via borrowing) is reduced.

More to come?

Don't panic, I was never serious. Changing sentiments all around, rising interest rates, tightening credit, I wonder what might happen?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Is 85% LTV the max for all mortgages, or just the fixed rates?

That's a very cautious LTV, severe credit tightening. 100% was just the minimum last year!

How can a 100% by the minimum LTV ?

HOLA445
You dont want to take on a mortgage that size.

I don't want to take on a mortgage of any size! Especially one thats 3 times more than my rental without bringing any improvement in quality of life (including on costs).

HOLA446
I don't want to take on a mortgage of any size! Especially one thats 3 times more than my rental without bringing any improvement in quality of life (including on costs).

still big posters in the windows of some of the high streets - nice 100% mort and a picture of a paint bucket, and don't forget the natwest "challenge".... mind you - they are only posters :)

HOLA447
HOLA448
You haven't heard of the 120% mortgages that were all the rage last year? A house and free money - just sign here.

Oh, and uro who - who was the bank?

Fair point. Those deals are snuffed out today like candles in the wind.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
An independent mortgage place near my work has been boasting 125% LTV for yonks - I'll keep an eye on it ;)

I call it "Dial a flight" syndrome. Great deals until you try to go for them, then their unavailable and offer you some crap instead.

HOLA4411

Aha - finally saw it was Nationwide in the thread title. Dur.

Their website still says 10% deposit for anything. Either the website's old or it's more complicated. Perhaps it's a 15% deposit for large mortgages?

Hey Time - I thought you'd quit and left. Fvck off, by the way :D You really shouldn't take notice of what people on here say.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...=47164&st=0

You really shouldn't take notice of what people on here say.

HOLA4412
Aha - finally saw it was Nationwide in the thread title. Dur.

Their website still says 10% deposit for anything. Either the website's old or it's more complicated. Perhaps it's a 15% deposit for large mortgages?

Hey Time - I thought you'd quit and left. Fvck off, by the way :D You really shouldn't take notice of what people on here say.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...=47164&st=0

You really shouldn't take notice of what people on here say.

I had just lost a thousand pounds betting interest rates wouldnt rise (no change), I was feeling pretty vulnerable. Stella perked me as she always does, well her and her 3 sisters. I am back on form now.

HOLA4413
I had just lost a thousand pounds betting interest rates wouldnt rise (no change), I was feeling pretty vulnerable. Stella perked me as she always does, well her and her 3 sisters. I am back on form now.

:lol: It's only a grand. Small change in the property world. My house usually gains that much in value in the time that it takes to have a dump.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

stella, chenin, nicotine = the three great muses. how simple they make life :)

HOLA4416