House Price Crash Forum

Its The Bbc Again

homeless

HOLA441

bbc news channel has this weird and wonderfull story about there under inflation rise in the bbc licence, and how this is gonna hurt them.

the bit i most enjoyed about it was this part.

The "targeted help" was not included in the BBC's licence fee bid, but the Culture Secretary has told Parliament this money will be ring-fenced at around £600 million. It seems this figure is included in the licence fee settlement, which may put a further squeeze on the BBC's programme spending.

Now listen here

a set top box costs only 17.99 in most shops

that is all thats needed for everyone to recieve digital tv.

there are 27 million homes in the uk, and lets give them the benifit of the doubt and say half they homes are pensioners, lets even say half of them aint even got digital tv alread.

thats 5 million homes

it works out about 1/10 of what there getting for this even using these completly unlikely figures.

what a bunch of thieves, i can deal with there justification for giving more money to preformers but i cant deal with blatent lies and tax payers money for nothing.

infact with that money they could give every single house in the uk a set top box.

and if i was in the market for 27 million set top boxes direct and not through dixons and tescos i would get them guarranteed for less than 10 pound each.

thieves through and through

HOLA442

You uncaring beast.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6191381.stm

What you are saying is that the 1 in 6 households who need help in setting up a set top box can ROT because they are a bit do-laley??

So what if 600m comes to £120 'per problem' household. How many of them speak english nowadays? Seems a bit low to me. You have to add on interpriters bills.

Of course, the government could simply get the private sector to compete for this cash, by having a few odd job men to help the old dears under competative tender agreements. Cost about 6p.

But that wouldn't be a disgused bung to the BBC and the BBC might start biting the hand that feeds it.

Edited by brainclamp

HOLA443

"Set top boxes" may be relatively cheap, but a decent aerial is often required to get decent quality pictures. Maybe some of the 600 million is going to be put towards aerial upgrades. I install aerials for a living, which involves a fair amount of working on rooftops. Any "odd job" men care to assist me ? I`m very busy at the moment. :rolleyes:

Edited by Prof

HOLA444

"Set top boxes" may be relatively cheap, but a decent aerial is often required to get decent quality pictures. Maybe some of the 600 million is going to be put towards aerial upgrades. I install aerials for a living, which involves a fair amount of working on rooftops. Any "odd job" men care to assist me ? I`m very busy at the moment. :rolleyes:

I had one of those aerials that you put on top of the tv for years and always had a dodgy picture on all 5 channels and could rarely get teletext. Then I got a freeview box (using the same aerial) and got a perfect picture on all 30-odd channels.

Perhaps this is not always the case, but I was shocked at how much better the quality was.

£600m sounds far too much. Even considering that this is the public sector, so half the money will be wasted, that still leaves a "real" budget of £300m.

HOLA445

I won`t bore you with the technical pros and cons of digital TV reception, but I agree that 600 million seems a lot. It seems that this could be another case of giving financial assistance to those who "can`t afford" the upgrade to digital TV. It is a shame for those that have to sit at home and watch TV for most of the day, the fags and booze that they have to buy are expensive, and they couldn`t possibly afford a new aerial/set top box with their benefits. What an excellent idea, get other license fee payers to help them out. Afterall, if the unemployed can`t afford to watch TV, how are New Labour going to communicate with their voters ?

HOLA446
HOLA447