House Price Crash Forum

Your Best Performing Shares

Unexpected

HOLA441

ETF (Exchange Traded Fund) also known as iShares..

FTSE 250 Tracker is best.

Ticker is ... MIDD

Best performing.

Trade in and out like a share.

No stamp duty !!

I had a look at the MIDD graph. Looks good to me so I think I'm in for a few k on Monday. I should have bought a few months ago, or preferably when Penbat started ramping which was ages ago. Might start building up using sharebuilder in case theres a general downturn. Got to be a good bet if we get hyperinflation.

HOLA442

I aVOID uk-listed shares, because of the expensive market-maker machinery.

Have had many doubles, and even five baggers in Canada and Australia in the past year

I'm sure that works for you DrBubb but most people on HPC can only deal in UK shares without going through all the hassle of opening up new share dealing accounts. Then there is the complexity of trying to figure out the market in that country and the research of those companies. Also, there is the currency fluctuations to consider. UK shares are probably better and safer for those of us who are fairly inexperienced or dont have the time for the indepth research.

HOLA443

A good thread this. I think for most people who don't have the necessary hours to research in detail a decent share screener would be useful. On the whole a decent sized company (FTSE 100 / 250) with a historic earnings growth of 15% over 2 or 3 year and projected earnings growth of 15%+ with a good ROCE can be a good place to start to look. These are the sort of companies that could give reasonable and stable growth for the average investor. Try something like www.digitalloook.com for example. That has a good screener. Earnings are king in shares so don't neglect them.

HOLA444

I hold mine in funds too. I invested £50k (£5k each in 10 equity income funds in April 2005. They are now worth £67,000. The best three are

Invesco Perpetual High Equity Income (£7,520 at 10 Dec)

Invesco Perpetual Equity Income (£7460 at 10 Dec)

Jupiter Income (£6905) at 10 Dec)

The worst was Schroder Income (£6205) at 10 Dec

Invesco Perpetual are by far the best equity income trusts

I bunged my share ISA money into the invesco perpetual high income fund after reading about it on the MSE forums.

Its had a 25% gain this year which is amazing, wish I put more in now.

Edited by zag2me

HOLA445

I bunged my share ISA money into the invesco perpetual high income fund after reading about it on the MSE forums.

Its had a 25% gain this year which is amazing, wish I put more in now.

Old mutual small companies has done well and credit suisse european frontiers. I use fidelity.co.uk , you can use the tools and filters on there to pretty much choose a good performing fund. Have a play on there and see what u think.

Its also ironic that Aberdeen property fund has performed really well and I thought to stay away from there just in case property bombs.!!

Edited by mickeymouse

HOLA446

I hold mine in funds too. I invested £50k (£5k each in 10 equity income funds in April 2005. They are now worth £67,000. The best three are

Invesco Perpetual High Equity Income (£7,520 at 10 Dec)

Invesco Perpetual Equity Income (£7460 at 10 Dec)

Jupiter Income (£6905) at 10 Dec)

The worst was Schroder Income (£6205) at 10 Dec

Invesco Perpetual are by far the best equity income trusts

Hope you're not forgetting to put them in a ISA shelter, to avoid tax in later years!!! I know I made that mistake when I was younger cost me a few thousand.

HOLA447

i quite like Topps tiles (tpt), good points:highly cash generative (60% gross margin), good organic growth potential, ~4% dividend yield, history of returning funds to shareholders. bad points: low competition barriers, its in the retail sector.

call me crazy but i also like HMV at todays price (~143p). good points: good brand image (and they own waterstones), ~5% div yield, 100m share buy back in next 6 or so months (17% of the shares issued), good take over target. bad points: internet sales lowering customers.

higher risk aim shares:

Cambrian mining (cbm) -great management

Tanfield group (tan) -great growth potential

Armour group (arg) -great from a technical point of view

'dodgy 5 year plus' gamble share:

Tertiary mining (tym) -huge potential, huge risk.