House Price Crash Forum

Bbc Coverage

Cityfool

HOLA441

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4025077.stm

This is the only coverage of house prices on the bbc web site I can find in the last week and a half. Given the large amount of bearish news this week I find it almost unbelievable.

To find a bullish story they have had to look exclusively at scotland and then at figures from the scottish land registry which will be hopelessly out of date.

Can anyone explain?

HOLA442

There was a spell a while back when I felt they were giving bearish articles a fair showing.

However, as you say, the last few weeks have been very different.

The Countrywide trading update issued today - which is as significant as any piece of news on the housing market this year - is completely ignored on the business website.

Hometrack doesn't get a look-in, and RICS last week was also roundly ignored.

Can anyone find their "newswatch" email address, because I would like to query this bias?

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
There was a spell a while back when I felt they were giving bearish articles a fair showing.

However, as you say, the last few weeks have been very different.

The Countrywide trading update issued today - which is as significant as any piece of news on the housing market this year - is completely ignored on the business website.

Hometrack doesn't get a look-in, and RICS last week was also roundly ignored.

Can anyone find their "newswatch" email address, because I would like to query this bias?

Funnily enough they don't exactly publicise it. You can get to a "contact us" screen from the bottom of the front page.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I'm not willing to believe it's as sinister as that.

It might just be that the person who does the business website is up to his neck in BTL. Then again he'd also have to be in charge of the business Ceefax pages, because they are as biased these days.

Again, the contast between the BBC's teletext pages (BBC2 page 201) and Channel 4's (page 501) is marked.

God help us if the Direct Line-sponsored Channel 4 is giving a more balanced round-up.

HOLA449
Surely from a meeja point of view, falling house prices are now old news?

This is because financial good news stories have a longer life than 'bad' news stories.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You couldn't be more wrong. House prices are the story, because the country is obsessed in one way or another.

We're not even in to chapter two yet.

P.S. Here's a link for questioning the balance or the BBC's reporting:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newswatch/ukfs/hi/ne...900/3993927.stm

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Hang on..isent this the same BBC that commisions DIY, do-up, makeover shows, most of which are still to finish their runs, not surprising they want to suck the last breath out of the feel good win win housing market.

Who wants to watch some smug presenter doing up a room if the value of the room is worth less after the makeover, throwing good money after bad. :o

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I watched some of Working Lunch today, they did have an article about Brit Land, and how there shares are doing really well, but that is actually bad news as it might suggest IRs could yet go up again, although if they were doing badly, that would be bad news as well. They said all that. They also suggested to never to listen to MD comments from results releases as they talk utter rubbish.

but no mention of countrywide....didn't know about it till just now, hearing from this site.