House Price Crash Forum

Panorama Nobbled?

HOLA441

I'm sure you've seen the heavily trailed adverts for Panorama this week, the one with the mock cashpoint asking you how much tax payers money you'd like to defraud, I saw the trail earlier today. It looked like an interesting programme about the way HM Revenue & Customs and the Treasury are somewhat inept.

I said 'looked' because it has suddenly been dropped and replaced with a lovely fluffy programme about the work/life balance, I'm sure they will get to the bottom of things and acknowledge the elephant in the room and explain why people have to work so many hours and why they don't have any time for family or children.

Panorama

Sun 29 Jan, 10:15 pm - 11:00 pm 45mins

Do You Want to Be a Millionaire?

Reporter Justin Rowlatt investigates how fraudsters exploit loopholes in the European Single Market to steal two billion pounds a year from the British taxpayer. He confronts one of them, Ray Woolley, a plumber who siphoned away 38 million pounds in just six months.

The cowering Beeb better not unset Gordon.

HOLA442

38 million pounds in just six months

That's some hourly rate, even for a plumber.

Don;t worry, the customs/revenue are on the case, Bob the Builder down the road has just been done cos he had a pint of milk on one of his tax receipts that he shouldn't have had.

Yes, the tax system really is like that.

Edited by OnlyMe

HOLA443
HOLA444

Well spotted Buying Bear.

I was looking forward to that programme too.

Maybe an email to ask if it'll be shown at a later date would be in order.

NDL

There are about 20 outstanding court cases for missing trader fraud. It will be an awfully long time until all the cases have been finished and the program can be shown.

HOLA445

There are about 20 outstanding court cases for missing trader fraud. It will be an awfully long time until all the cases have been finished and the program can be shown.

Fair enough, I did think that myself.

It begs the question though, why they advertised it so heavily if cases were outstanding.

The trailers also seemed to suggest that these were loopholes, so no crimes had been committed. I am inclined to agree with you.

NDL

HOLA446

It begs the question though, why they advertised it so heavily if cases were outstanding.

Indeed, they knew these cases were going through, they go through all the time, the BBC isn't prevented from commenting on the murder laws just because there is an on going trial, they'd never be able to report anything.

The reason it has been axed is either political or legal, lets hope it's simply a matter of them complying with the editorial guidelines when it comes to the right to reply. However the last time this sort of thing happened the programmes were extensively edited and softened. A revealing programme about Lord Drayson was shown at some unsusal hour inconsistent with the money programmes' usual primetime slot, nor was it ever repeated.

It will be interesting to see whether it simply sinks under the radar. There are still some good journalists at the Beeb, but it's more than obvious that the schedulers and editors plunge their work into obscurity, if they let it through at all.

Edited by BuyingBear

HOLA447

Just been watching the replacement programme.

The presenter said she learned on Friday that the scheduled programme can no longer go out on Sunday and she'll have to do some extra work to get this one finished on time.

Did anyone see a trailor for the original programme since Friday?

I'm afraid I was rather pre-occupied with alcohol to see any trailors!

NDL

HOLA448
HOLA449

I've had a 'we're too busy to answer emails' reply from the BBC Radio 4 You & yours prog about what happened to the prog on :

'Next year by law all homeowners will need to have a Home Information Pack in order to sell their properties. Is there a way round it?'

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=23029

It may be nothing, but I'll email a complaint to Rad 4 & report back .

HOLA4410
Guest Bart of Darkness

replaced with a lovely fluffy programme about the work/life balance

This is the Beeb's "heavyweight" political show isn't it?

I seem to remember a show called "Panarama" in the 70s and 80s which seemed to fill this remit.

Are the two shows related at all?

Should I stuff this recollection down the memory hole? :huh:

If you want a picture of the future, imagine the BBC Director General kissing NuLab's a r s e.

Forever.

Panorama asks why British workers continue to clock up some of the longest hours in Europe.

*cough*Insane house prices?*cough*

HOLA4411

On the BBC News Watch programme, today at approx 7.50am, in respose to a readers query, they said that the episode of Panorama had been replaced due to an unexpected development in a relevant legal case.

They hoped to show it in the near future.

Watch it here -Newswatch site http://news.bbc.co.uk/newswatch/ukfs/hi/ne...000/4639080.stm

HOLA4412

On the BBC News Watch programme, today at approx 7.50am, in respose to a readers query, they said that the episode of Panorama had been replaced due to an unexpected development in a relevant legal case.

They hoped to show it in the near future.

Watch it here -Newswatch site http://news.bbc.co.uk/newswatch/ukfs/hi/ne...000/4639080.stm

While we are talking about this it may be worth mentioning that customs are planning to change the way VAT works on certain expensive electrical items to solve the issue.