House Price Crash Forum

Flexit - The Brexit Plan

HOLA441

http://www.eureferendum.com/documents/flexcit.pdf

Like many of you I've been thinking about what happens now, and I've not seen Flexit mentioned so far.

I try to keep myself abreast of news and blogs of all social and political persuasions, as I think it's important to understand the motivations and concerns of my fellow citizens. That even includes mumsnet and Owen Jones, although I drew the line at Property118. I would describe myself as a left leaning libertarian, although probably not in polite company as such a thing is apparently impossible.

I've followed Dr North http://www.eureferendum.com for a while as he seems to know his stuff, and has an abrasive writing style I quite enjoy. I find myself reading the majority of his articles more than most (along with John Ward). He can probably take the credit for me (somewhat reluctantly) voting to Leave, although like most I did not expect to have much of a chance let alone win (and I still have doubts it will actually happen, which will only abate 2 years and 1 day after we activate Article 50). Broadly I have hope that the best of the British character will prevail over the worst, and that it will all be fine in the end, although the evidence presented is sometimes less than promising.

Anyhow, this is the (only) comprehensive, thought through plan that I've found. It's long, and detailed, and complex. Hence the main campaigns it was offered to had no truck with it.

It is also crowdsourced to a degree, and since we have a repository of brilliant (if frankly, odd) minds around here, I wanted to bring it to your attention and consideration. Perhaps some of you will have insight to make it even more robust which you can share with the good Dr North. I certainly haven't read most of it yet, but now the prospect is now real, I shall be studying it in more detail.

(mods - happy to merge to the main brexit vote if you think it belongs there, but I felt a document of this complexity needed it's own thread for focus)

This sums up my mood for the last few days

HOLA442

http://www.eureferendum.com/documents/flexcit.pdf

Like many of you I've been thinking about what happens now, and I've not seen Flexit mentioned so far.

I try to keep myself abreast of news and blogs of all social and political persuasions, as I think it's important to understand the motivations and concerns of my fellow citizens. That even includes mumsnet and Owen Jones, although I drew the line at Property118. I would describe myself as a left leaning libertarian, although probably not in polite company as such a thing is apparently impossible.

I've followed Dr North http://www.eureferendum.com for a while as he seems to know his stuff, and has an abrasive writing style I quite enjoy. I find myself reading the majority of his articles more than most (along with John Ward). He can probably take the credit for me (somewhat reluctantly) voting to Leave, although like most I did not expect to have much of a chance let alone win (and I still have doubts it will actually happen, which will only abate 2 years and 1 day after we activate Article 50). Broadly I have hope that the best of the British character will prevail over the worst, and that it will all be fine in the end, although the evidence presented is sometimes less than promising.

Anyhow, this is the (only) comprehensive, thought through plan that I've found. It's long, and detailed, and complex. Hence the main campaigns it was offered to had no truck with it.

It is also crowdsourced to a degree, and since we have a repository of brilliant (if frankly, odd) minds around here, I wanted to bring it to your attention and consideration. Perhaps some of you will have insight to make it even more robust which you can share with the good Dr North. I certainly haven't read most of it yet, but now the prospect is now real, I shall be studying it in more detail.

(mods - happy to merge to the main brexit vote if you think it belongs there, but I felt a document of this complexity needed it's own thread for focus)

This sums up my mood for the last few days

Thank you for posting. I have seen this before and completely forgot about it. Just skimming the first few pages has deepened my concern as to what TPTB are doing!

Prophetic words!

2.0 The political background

David Cameron's contempt for Eurosceptics, as dupes who can be strung along until he's safely in Downing Street is unambiguous, honest and consistent – in short, everything his European policy is not. More fool us if we let him mislead us again. Barry Legg The Guardian, 3 November 2009 ​

Most likely, there will be a circular relationship between the referendum and the subsequent negotiations. In order to win a referendum (i.e., to gain a majority for a "leave" vote), there must be a workable exit plan on the table before the public phase of the campaign starts. This is so important that, in our view, we will never succeed without one having been published well in advance. Then, in closing the loop, the conduct of the referendum campaign will have a significant impact on the Article 50 talks.​

This is a point that cannot be emphasised enough. The negotiations will not take place in a political vacuum. Their starting point will not be the formal commencement of exit talks. Rather, in a highly charged political environment, the negotiations will be a continuation of an ongoing political process that will have started well before the referendum campaign got under way.​